AOL won't let me go!

ivesy 17:33 16 Oct 04

When is 12 months not 12 months? when AOL decides it's not! I contacted AOL using the chat help service they have on September 13th and was told ( I have the printout) I could cancel on 16th October so I made a note on the calender and waited for the day to come. After a trip away I returned on Tuesday 12th October to find I couldn't connect to AOL because of "billing" problems I rang and was told by "sarah" that as I'd cancelled my Direct Debit (DD) there system wouldn't let me use AOL without a "method of payment" I then spent the next 10 minutes trying to explain in my clearest English that my contract ran out on the 16th of October and my DD in September took me too this date! yes she agreed but they still needed a method of payment even though I was never going to use AOL (ever) after the 16th. I asked to speak to a supervisor 10 minutes later "sarah" came back to tell me my September bill hadn't been paid, this took the wind out of my sails so I apologised and rang my bank, guess what? It had been paid. I rang AOL back to be told yes it had been paid! and if I rang another number I could have AOL until Friday 15th and then all I had to do was ring them to cancel simple...ringing the other number confirmed what I'd been told so yesterday (15th) I stopped off at PC World and bought my Wanadoo modem (£34.98 for 2 months and then £17.99 for 1MEG compared to £24.99 for 512KB with AOL) got home rang AOL to cancel..."Sean" had me hanging on the phone 15 minutes because "the system is slow" until he told me I couldn't cancel until the 16th November! He agreed I signed for AOL on the 1st October 2003 but they had extended the date until the 15th November for some reason. I was furious but all "Sean" would say was call back on the 15th November to cancel even though 3 AOL reps and a chat agent had said I could cancel NOW! I told him there was noway I would pay the final months money as I didn't think I owed it. Out of curiosity I went onto AOL's online chat help to be told I had approx 4 days left which took me upto the 20th! It just totally beggars beleif this sort of thing can happen. I can't get through to AOL at the moment because it's busy but does anyone know how I stand on this because I'm adamant (not the singer)that I won't pay especially as I have 2 screen printouts telling me my contarct ends on either the 16th or 20th of October. Sorry this is so long but I needed to get this off my chest and I haven't even mentioned how I was paying somebody elses AOL bills without me knowing but that's another story!

kakasnarta 18:39 16 Oct 04

Know what you mean......getting rid of AOL near impossible ,when i tryed to cancel a couple of years ago after the first twelve months they said i had to give a months notice and they gave me a date to phone back ,but they said been as i was such a good customer i could have the last month at special rate.........then came about 100 questions as to why i wanted to change etc etc....Then after the final month same 100 questions ,what can we do to keep you all over again....and now 2 years on still recieving bumph through the post begging me to come back its a losing battle.

g0slp 19:17 16 Oct 04

4 years ago!

No mail from them though - I just shoved them back in the post marked 'not known at this address' once I'd got clear of their clutches...

feb 20:00 16 Oct 04

Call me stupid! Why did you have to buy another modem?

rdave13 20:31 16 Oct 04

I agree!

ivesy 20:57 16 Oct 04

Cheers for the good news kak! I didn't have to buy a new modem it was free when you paid for 2 months of Wanadoo at PC World! I don't want anything to do with AOL ever again including there bloody modem! ha ha

feb 21:07 16 Oct 04

So now you've got 2 modems click here

niknax 00:01 17 Oct 04

you've lost me!!!! modems.....modems.....modems!!

i think you have got your isp's mixed up with your modems? i could be wrong...!!

Nik

Muzzsjm 12:53 18 Oct 04

I used to work for AOL, and they have a special dedicated team setup to stop you cancelling. It's known only to AOL employees as "MEMBER SAVE" but to the normal person its a part of Customer Services.

It's a dedicated team that from 8am to 9pm all day everyday are there trying to save members and stop them cancelling. Chances are you have been put through to them most times you have called. With a 90% target they take no prisoners :-)

Indeed Sean was right about slow systems, I haven't worked for AOL for over 6 months but the PC's we used were Celeron 300mhz, 64mb RAM on Windows 2000 and it was a nightmare at times doing anything.

Just phone up, give your account details and tell them whats going on. Request that you will only speak to a supervisor, AOL employees are told never to hang up, only if the customer is abusive etc, the person you speak to will have a call time target so will probabley get a supervisor once the call gets to 10 minutes. AOL are actually more worried about the number of calls rather than the quality.

I could go on for hours but I am at work lol and must stop.

blulightning747 17:57 18 Oct 04

God AOL, worst ISP ever (IMO). When i was cancelling my account last year i sent them an e-mail saying i wanted to cancel. Problem was they billed me for three months service which i never spent one minute on their service. They said they sent an e-mail back to me, i wasn't aware of this as i had already switched to Blueyonder Broadband. I know this was partly my fault but i'd cancelled an account for a relative before and it was cancelled straight away. They wouldn't budge on the repayment so i eventually gave up on it. It was worth it though, a very generous price to pay to get rid of AOL!

G

ivesy 19:17 18 Oct 04

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it, I'll give them a ring on wednesday which is the day 2 chat agents have told me is my final day and see what happens! I'll post a message on here to let you guys know how I got on!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…