AOL - Waste?

€dstow 08:23 31 Mar 03

I arrived at the studio this morning at the same time as the postman.

In addition to the normal mail, he was delivering AOL CDs - one or more to each of his drop offs. There were hundreds of disks in his bag. He said there were thousands of disks at the depôt waiting delivery.

I've just phoned my father who said that he's had an AOL disk delivered this morning as well. Note my father lives some 60 or so miles away from here.

Is this carpet bombing of the UK with CDs that almost nobody wants? What about the environmental aspects? It concerns me that I dispose of two or so waste CDs a week, this is going to result in millions wasted if the extent of delivery is what it seems to be.

What's the game AOL? Have you considered the dreadful amount of waste that this is producing?

I get a definite impression that there is an air of desperation in this promotion by AOL which, I don't think, will do anything to relieve any difficulties they may be experiencing.

€d

watchful 09:11 31 Mar 03

Agee with every word - last week Tiscali, this week AOL.
I think they're both desperate.

Goldcroft 09:16 31 Mar 03

And AOL have big stands of CDs in supermarkets.

One can only suppose that AOL and Tiscali etc have marketing experts and that the results are worth the effort. I know of several people who have started on the Internet with a free CD, myself included!

Ben Avery (Work) 09:26 31 Mar 03

Good morning.

Did you have a good weeekend chap?

I have to say, that if you want to "join the crusade" to put a stop to this (if it makes any difference that is) I'd advise keeping all of your aol discs and then sending them here click here who have so far collected 1,465,385 of thier cd's. If they were stacked on top of each other, that would be the equivolent height of 4.5 Empire State Buildings!

Apparently, at some point (if they haven't already) they are going to deliver them "back to their rightful owner" on AOL's doorstep, likely with a message like "You've got Mail!"

I think that the Post Office should keep a list of people who do not want these so that they get returned to sender. That may stop them sending out so many if they ended up getting 3/4 of them right back again

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 09:29 31 Mar 03

Slight error on my part, I read the Hoit List figure not the "CD's Collected" figure!

Actual CD's collected is 155,631.

Sorry.

Still a grand job being done!

BA

€dstow 09:31 31 Mar 03

Wow! I like it!!!

€d

Andsome 09:34 31 Mar 03

I would not touch either of these company's with a barge pole. You have possibly seen me post before, to the effect that when I had some internet lessons after getting my first computer, we were all given a leaflet headed, 'AOL, the upgrade of death'. The computer which my son had given to me, had to have Windows reinstalled because he had tried to get rid of AOL, and everything went wrong. We could not install my own choice of ISP. The shop that put things right for me had had experience of other computers with the same problem. A couple of years ago a BBC program had a phone in about AOL problems. Any number of people had had to have Windows reinstalled after trying to uninstall AOL. As regards Tiscali, I have seen that many problems posted to this forum, concerning their service, that I wonder how they stay in business.

€dstow 09:35 31 Mar 03

Missed a bit

Yes, I did have a good weekend thanks, did you?

Regarding the Post Office lists, these disks are just being mail dropped - they aren't addressed, so everyone gets one.

€d

Andsome 09:38 31 Mar 03

If you do return them, might I suggest a large scratch across them first, so that if they are reissued they cannot be used.

Ben Avery (Work) 09:39 31 Mar 03

Just noticed that they have a UK postal address too. It is:

NO MORE AOL CDS

PO BOX 492

PETERBOROUGH

PE4 7WW

UK

€dstow 09:51 31 Mar 03

You mention supermarket stands.

This is not the place to discuss advertising methods but there is a fundamental difference between that, where there is an element of choice (you pick it up if you think you (might) want it) and having the things forced on you through the letterbox.

I live in a block of flats and my partner and myself are the youngest people living there by about 100 years (not literally but, you know what I mean). I doubt if many of the other residents know what a computer is, never mind AOL. That's not being ageist, these people are extremely old. To give these people AOL disks is a total and utter waste.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…