AOL v8 causes havoc

Newuser3450 15:44 29 Jul 03

I have a Dell laptop (still under warranty). Lately I updated AOL v7 for AOL v8. This has caused a lot of damage as every time I try to connect to the internet the computer crashes. Dell does not want to know, as they say they are not responsible for a software problem, and AOL is not helpful either. I am now left with a laptop that cannot be used on the internet and for which I am still paying a monthly direct debit. What is my position? Who is responsible? Would my home insurance accept that my laptop is unusable? (I have brought the laptop to a computer engineer who does not seem to be able to solve the problem either)
Please advise. Sophie

D-P-R 16:01 29 Jul 03

Try using the US version of AOL it is a lot better. When I was on AOL that is what I used and it was a lot better than the UK version

TechMad 16:10 29 Jul 03

Unfortunatly Sophie, you are responsible for any resulting problems of installing AOL v8. As with most software, the small print indicates that the publisher accepts no responsibility for any problems or loss of productivity through the use of the software.

Your laptop would not be classed as unusable because you would be able to install say "Breathe Laucher" and be able to use the modem again.

Have you tried uninstalling and restarting the computer. Then Installing AOL v8 again. If this doesn't work. Stick with AOL v7 if possible.

Sir Radfordin 16:31 29 Jul 03

I'm tempted to think there may be a problem with AOL and Dell because after installing it on an XP Latitude got a BSOD that could not be resolved. The onyl solution was to format and begin again.

Southernboy 16:34 29 Jul 03

and it works fine. Indeed, this is the first version with some really useful improvements. I can now store favourites in folders, making it mueasier and quicker to find them.

Southernboy 16:35 29 Jul 03

I sgould have said much easier!

Djohn 17:02 29 Jul 03

Version 8 is working fine, even through all the BETA testing I found few problems. I'm due to start BETA test of version 9 next week. Can you open a thread in the "Helproom", I will help if possible, so will others. You say your Laptop crashes on trying to connect to the internet, will you please provide more details in your new thread. Regards. j.

kakasnarta 19:55 29 Jul 03

After much searching to find a copy of aol 8 to install on my first attempt at building a computer it works fine no problems a great improvement on aol 7 which i run on my laptop.the report spam and pop up blockers are a good idea.

jimv7 20:22 29 Jul 03

Newuser3450,

If you put diesel instead of petrol into your cars fuel tank and damaged the engine, would you blame the car manufacturer.

Djohn 21:07 29 Jul 03

Yes! if it was a diesel engine!

;o)

Philip2 21:06 02 Aug 03

Try updating the modem drivers or see if someone can download them for you there was a problem
with my Smartlink modem with V7 of AOL computer kept crashing updated drivers and it was ok although i am not with AOL now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…