AOL is taking my money....

overworked 07:42 24 Oct 03

Last November I decided to try out the "AOL 8 Trial".I gave AOL my credit card details when i logged on the first time.A day later I uninstalled the package and cancelled.Approx 3 weeks later I recieved a BB modem and cables.I promptly returned them and noted on my C card statement I had been debited almost £130.for modem & BB service which I did not request.I then contacted Capitol one to advise them that I had not at any time even considered entering into a contract with AOL and that their eqpt had been returned, unopened and unused.AOL agreed to send me a refund, the following month and every subsequent period untill August this year I was debited by Aol.Despite the fact that I advised Capitol one and AOL of their error,AOL continued to take monthly subscriptions from my credit card.I phoned Capitol One to cancel and they informed me it was between myself and AOL, I got passed from dept to dept at AOL with no satisfaction whatsoever.to reach my point, even though my credit limit was only £200 I now find myself being hounded by a debt collector for almost £900 for a modem which I returned and a service I never requested nor used,I have kept all my phone bills (itemised) for the last 12 months and don't know how to get myself out of this mess.Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Forum Editor 08:00 24 Oct 03

acknowledged your cancellation - they must have done, as you say they agreed to send you a refund. That they haven't done so, and that they are still charging your credit card account is clear indication of an administrative eror - one that needs to be corrected immediately.

I assume that you have a copy of your original cancellation email, and the one from AOL promising the refund?

What you should now do is:

1. Write a letter to the debt collector, stating the facts, and telling them that they should not pursue you further in this matter. This is important, as without any documentation you may find yourself confronted with a county court summons for defaulting on a direct debit agreement.

2. Write to AOL by special delivery, again stating the dates and the facts. Tell AOL that they must stop the debt collection agency from harassing you immediately.

3. Write to Capitol One giving them the facts, and enclose a copy of the original email you sent to AOL, cancelling the agreement.

It's important that you act very quickly, and that you draw a line in the sand by sending all three letters - do it by post, and not by email. As a general rule it's vitally important that any cancellation of a direct debit agreement is done in writing, by post, and that a record is kept of any subsequent phone calls. Once a debt collection agency becomes involved you are dangerously close to a court action, and your credit rating is at risk.

Please post back to this thread and update us on the outcome of this would you? And send those letters today if possible.

Mango Grummit 10:41 24 Oct 03

I am with AOL and like it BUT I know their after sales efforts are sadly lacking. On a couple of occasions when I was getting nowhere with their base-model operatives I got my problems sorted by writing to:

FAO Tony Hanway, Director of Customer Care

AOL European Operations Ltd
Network House
IDA Industrial Park
Cork Road
Co. Waterford
Republic of Ireland.

Mango Grummit 10:43 24 Oct 03

AOL European Operations Ltd

Network House

IDA Industrial Park

Cork Road

Co. Waterford

Republic of Ireland.

Migwell 22:58 24 Oct 03

AOL ! I just can't understand why anyone would be so daft to pay for the internet by AOL at the prices they charge. You can get dial up for £11.99 from evesham, and save a lot of money as to their Broad Band prices well words fail me. £27 + and you can get this for £19.95 and even cheeper from quite a few sources. Will people NEVER learn. You are being ripped off.

Forum Editor 23:23 24 Oct 03

that just because company B charges less for something than company A it doesn't mean that someone who goes with company A is being "ripped off". That's a very simplistic way of looking at things and totally unhelpful.

People aren't "daft" because they choose to pay more than the bare minimum for something - often it's a wise decision. Rock bottom prices often mean rock-bottom service. All companies that sell an ADSL broadband service are buying it from BT wholesale, and by cutting their selling price they are cutting their profit margin to the bone. My web hosting company sells a business broadband service, but the managing director tells me they make no money from it. They sell it because they have to offer a service to be competitive.

Let's hear no more comments about people being daft please - it achieves absolutely nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…