AOL or BT yahoo Broadband?

cara 12:20 13 Oct 03

I am poised ready to subscribe to one of the above. I want email, parental control, anti virus etc. which they both seem to offer (I don't think they both offer a firewall though?).

I am swaying from one to the other. Any pros and cons for either of the companies. Help me decide!

Thanks in advance
Cara

bebbo 16:51 13 Oct 03

AOL actually now offer a firewall( as a downlaod.free one)....don't know how good it is tho.( i use norton)
I have been with AOL for many years now and have just gone to BBand.Up to now i think it is very good indeed.I have not had any problems at all.Highly recommended!!!!

Djohn 09:19 14 Oct 03

Do you use either of them for your 56k dial-up service? Or if not, do you have any experience of AOL? j.

golfer boy 09:53 14 Oct 03

Hi Cara

I have used AOL in the past, not for broadband mind you, and wouldn't go back there. The AOL software slowed my PC down to the point that I had to remove it. Both AOL and BT are expensive broadband providers and you can get similar services for substantially less each month.

I use PlusNet - click here - and am impressed so far. You can buy a modem with a built in firewall, the option I went for, although if you are also looking for good parental control then you can't do much better than Norton security which is firewall and has parental controls.

Good luck, I know its a bit of a minefield!!!

STEVE71163 10:39 14 Oct 03

I use aol broadband and find it an excellent service and also their tech support is free which is worth bearing in mind when you make your decision.

The Spires 11:46 15 Oct 03

I recently installed AOL 8 on a clean 1.2 Athlon/Win ME with 128 Meg RAM, the Pc showed no discernable difference in speed.

flash one 17:49 16 Oct 03

I think you should go for BT as aol software tries to take over your PC.
Try emoing it when its installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant