aol dropping out.

bta1 11:43 03 Feb 08

Since upgrading to a router (netgear free with new aol contract.) my connection keeps dopping out every couple of hours.
also the download speeds are incredibly slow, video streaming has stopped and Napster has stopped working.

i have called the help desk and after an hour or so they just said it was my computer and to call my i.t help. whcih i have to hand, so i did and he says it's the router but aol wont listen.

if it was the computer, surely my xbox live account wouldn't keep dropping because it's conncected directly to the router and my lap top connection keeps dropping.

i called again and aol told me that my 'netsch' file is completely corrupt. i dont know what that is but again, got my I.T man down and he said no it's not.
AOL wont listen. does anyone know what i can do? they seem to be reading from a trouble shooting guide and then when that runs out of ideas they just say call you I.T man. i'm stuck with them now for 18 months and i can't be doing with this the whole time.

rdave13 13:24 03 Feb 08

If you've just signed a new contract this is how I'd go about it.
Check out other ISP's and pick one.
Check your BB speed, I use thinkbroadband; click here you can keep records using their link url. This is my latest check result on 2 meg connection; click here
Make a note of the dropout times and slow speed.
After a couple of days I'd ring them up, armed with the info, and tell them that you wish to cancel the contract as they aren't able to supply a decent service. Ask for the cancellation to be confirmed in a written letter and also ask for the mac code for migrating to another ISP.
You will have to send the router back.
As I said, this is just how I'd go about it.

Stuartli 15:15 03 Feb 08

It's most likely that your MTU figure is too high - AOL nd TalkTalk use 1432, which will mean configuring this figure in your router settings.

See:

click here and

click here

Marko797 16:15 03 Feb 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac