AOL and broken promises

jimbo24168 18:49 08 Mar 03

I joined AOL over a year ago mainly because they promised that I would be able to access the internet from anywhere I happened to be. As i was taking an online Open University course this meant I could access the OU site from work. Recently however AOL have decided to withdraw this option without notice and when I contacted them they told me that to get access from work I would have to switch to another price plan which would give me 30 hours access each month with anything over 30 hours charged at local BT rates.
A blatent change of the conditions of service which they insisted I agree to when I signed up but which they apparently can change at will.

he he :-) 19:04 08 Mar 03

what price plan are you on flat-rate?

Djohn 19:14 08 Mar 03

jimbo24168, I'm on the monthly plan, £15-99, unlimited access. I have not received any notification of this, and I use my account away from home, is this something that has just happened?

I will be wanting to use this facility again next week, can you confirm, before I phone/e-mail them. Regards. J.

he he :-) 19:17 08 Mar 03

yep same with me I need it for work

jimbo24168 19:48 08 Mar 03

Yes, I am on flat rate. This happened a few months ago. I think it depends on who provides the telephone service from where you want to connect from. If your not on BT,NTL or Yelewest then tough.

he he :-) 22:36 08 Mar 03

U can't get it at all if u don't have BT,NTL or telewest

graham 12:34 09 Mar 03

I think the AOL person was wrong. You should be able to access AOL from anywhere in the world (well almost) so long as you use the correct local access numbers. In the UK particularly, if your number is witheld as mine is, the system doesn't know where you are. Of course, all this assumes you are taking a laptop with you, not just jumping on the nearest PC!

he he :-)™ 15:52 09 Mar 03

thank goodness I contacted AOL and they said it wasn't true and graham has explained it good inough so I wont bother

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…