AOL Accounts

phil46 16:12 25 Sep 05

If your with AOL broadband don't upgrade or downgrade because if you want to leave you will find you have entered into another 1 YEAR contract
some what underhanded tack tick i think on AOL'S part or you buy your cotract out expensive.

phil46 16:13 25 Sep 05

Correction should have read contract.
Sorry.

CurlyWhirly 17:16 25 Sep 05

I asked a few months ago to be downgraded down from Platinum to Gold as I was paying £29.99 for a 2mb service and my telephone line could only support 1mb so I ended up saving £5 a month as I'm currently paying £24.99.

There was NO mention of entering into another 12 month contract though I had read of rumours stating this!

Bit sneaky that but I don't think I'll change to another ISP for the time being as I have NO problems with AOL having used them for nearly 4 years.

mattyc_92 19:33 25 Sep 05

Yes, I already knew this. It is "sneaky".

But thanks anyway (and BUMP for others)

phil46 19:36 25 Sep 05

That was my point with them,Freenetname does a 2mb
package for £18.00 yes there is a download limit
AOL doesn't have a limit but quite a saving.
But as i would have to pay £299.98 tobe released from contract even if your an old customer it's a bit much,and yet i can't find any info on this in upgrading or downgrading.

BLACK MARK AGAINST AOL.

HondaMan 11:46 26 Sep 05

I was one of those (idiots) who extolled the virtues of AOL, until they tried the same trick on me, ie charging for a service that I COULDN'T get. They wanted me to enter into a new contract and although I argued the point with them they wouldn't budge. Result, I have moved to Force9, up to 2Mb and only a month contract and a lot of my friends are moving as well.

Well done AOL, not only are you losing customers like crazy, but you are also driving away those that you do have!

Diemmess 17:37 26 Sep 05

There was I a (previously contented) Aol devotee disbelieving the posts on this thread. I assumed that downgrading after the initial contract would continue on a monthly basis.

I managed to find the right live help chat and what follows is a shortened transcript:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Agent: Hi! How may I help you today?

ME: Have completed 1 year with BB Gold and then downgraded to BB Silver.
I have heard that this action has begun another 12 month contract. Is this so
or am I (as I thought) now on a month contract as I would have been had I
stayed with Gold

Agent: I will help you on this.

Agent: I have just checked your account and as you have downgraded to
silver so your contract for 12 months started again from 20 Aug 05

Agent: Apart from this is there anything else I may help you with :-)

ME: Thank you for defining the present state. I am happy with the
service but feel cheated that the renewed 12 month was set in place without
any notification whatsoever. This is perhaps good for Aol profit but quite
appalling for customer loyalty

Agent: I understand your concerns and know how one feels in this
situation

Agent: I would request you to call our member service at 0870 3202020

Agent: and they would guide you further on this..

Agent: I apologise for the inconvenience being caused to you.

ME: Its not personal, but if you can pass this complaint on to your
"bean counters" it might help one day. Bye

Agent: i will definitely do it at priority yet i would request you to
leave yoru remarks to this effect at our keyword suggestion sol that aol can look into this at priority.

Agent: Thanks for your time and a have good day ahead.

Agent: Before I let you go, just to let you know that I will be
sending you a survey regarding the service that you have received from me
today , I would appreciate it if you could take some time to rate the service
that you have received on a scale of 1-10.

Agent: Thank you for contacting Live Help. Please Visit our new
Keyword: DISCOVER AOL which gives you the answer to the most of the
frequently asked Questions about AOL. It is our aim to help you have the
best possible online experience at all times. Please come back to chat again
if you have any further problems. Goodbye :-) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JUST to rub it in, I can't find Keyword 'Suggestion' I wonder if that is deliberate, there is no word for 'comment' or 'feedback' either.

phil46 17:49 26 Sep 05

Further to my last comment AOL reduced my payment
to £19.99 as a special offer but they will not move on the if you update your package you have to go a further 12 months.

If you look at the terms there is nothing i can find that states when your out of contract and change your package that you have taken out another 12 month contract,they did say you get this info on your screen when you log on after you have changed,but i don't see how this is valid in law if it's not written in black and white.

HondaMan 15:10 27 Sep 05

Two points arise.
1. A contract does not HAVE to be in writing
2. If you were unaware that you were agreeing to an additional year BEFORE you agreed, ie there was nothing said by the rep, or nothing on the screen, I would have a bl**dy good fight about it. The rep told me that it would need to be a new contract and I left - quickly.
It sounds like clever marketing and I think it is a very dubious practice. I wonder of Ofcom would be interested?

Diemmess 15:23 27 Sep 05

I may be naive, I am happy to go on using Aol indefinitely. What I will not do, is to champion their system any more.

When I have the time I will scour their site for a means of telling Aol what I think of its shady financial practice .... It has removed any loyalty I felt for an otherwise excellent product.

rdave13 23:48 01 Oct 05

Been with them over two years and they are as good as the rest of them.

Not a good advert I agree but who genuinly polices sutch ISP'

Hope everyone has a better ISP than mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…