Anyone seen the Anti-Virus reviews in Comp shopper

WhiteViper 19:55 05 May 06

Had a quick look today at the reviews and lab tests in Computer Shopper magazine - they rate Panda and Avast (my current choice) as very poor - 1 star out of 5 - whilst F-Secure and the new Kaspersky 2006 package score top marks

Everthing else seemed fairly so so. Even AVG scored just 3 out of 5.

What's your opinion of this - does it ring true, and does it mean the end for the free packages ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:06 05 May 06

Utter rubbish. I have used AVG free for over 3 years and it has stopped everything thrown at it. I run a mail list of 80+ users who have no problems at all. I use AVG, WindowsDefender and no firewall and have no problems...ever. As different companies produce different test results I suspect that there is some analytical problem somewhere.;-))

G

Joe R 20:32 05 May 06

WhiteViper,

as GANDALF <|:-)>, i have to say the same.
I am at the moment using Avast (which I think came bottom in the same survey), and it has detected everything, that has got through.

I run Blueyonder broadband, (always connected) and it is years since I last saw a virus on my computer.

SB23 20:37 05 May 06

Agree with GANDALF <|:-)>,only difference is the fact that I use Avast. If it hadn't been for Avast I wouldn't have known that I had 6 virus's this week, and all were dealt with accordingly.

Steve

jarani 20:47 05 May 06

i agree totally with gandalf, i have the same protection, no firewall and no problems for the past 12 months or so - jarani

Ancient Learner 21:41 05 May 06

I also had a problem with this review. There was no mention of NOD32, which is odd since that company has a terrific reputation and advertises in that same magazine.

It all didn't ring quite true to me.

WhiteViper 22:24 05 May 06

The Comp Shopper labs test did actually have NOD32 in it - scored 3 out of 5 , with comments like "competent but expensive". Seems a bit odd to me as NOD32 is frequently referred to as one of the best systems on the market.

Begs the question, who exactly can you trust when you are looking for accurate, impartial advice ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:27 05 May 06

'Begs the question, who exactly can you trust when you are looking for accurate, impartial advice'...here! You have thousnads of people with real-life experience not a bunch of demented lab tests that use scripts which that bear no relationship to the real world. (AVG free for me)

G

rdave13 22:59 05 May 06

Been using Avast! free home edition for over two years and it's kept my pc virus free even with a very curious (for want of a better word) teenager roaming here there, and sometimes dodgy, everywhere.

Arnie 23:45 05 May 06

I also read the review and Avast did not come out well.
Since I have only been using it for about a month I was rather dismayed. However, now I have read your posting I am staying with it.

GANDALF <|:-)> "Begs the question, who exactly can you trust...."

The answer appears to be the people on this forum who have first hand everyday experience of using the products.

Stuartli 00:00 06 May 06

Two points. You shouldn't dismiss such surveys as being useless as they will have been conducted using recognised criteria.

Secondly, I use Avast! and like others I'm perfectly satisfied with it, just as I was with AVG previously.

To look at it from a different light, have a gander at the Bulldog adverts for "up to 16MB" broadband at £9.75 a month.

Sounds wonderful, until you realise that the £9.75 is only for the first month - then look at all the other terms and conditions....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…