Anyone recommend a DVD writer

TommyRed 16:17 09 Nov 04

My system only came with a CD/RW and seperate DVD-Rom drive and as the warranty is nearly up I'm toying with the idea of changing the CD/RW to a DVD/RW. What other benefits other than making DVD's would I expect? What should I look for in the spec's and what software do I need? Also where should I look at prices. TIA TR

Taran 16:55 09 Nov 04

The front page of this site has a link near the bottom for DVD writers, as reviewed by PC Advisor.

Prices usually include the drive and a software bundle to get you going.

You can get 'bare' drives, which are far cheaper but some with no software.

Another IT magazine featured an interesting list of DVD writers this month. Their recommended buy seems to be no longer available from DABS, but the next model in the range, with a good software bundle, fast burning speeds and excellent multi-format support (DVD+-R/RW/RAM 16x Double Layer) is the LG GSA4160B

click here

A DVD drive offers greater scope for personal backups, home movie making, it can burn your CDs and allow you to watch movies as well. Kind of an all in one box of tricks.

Taran 16:58 09 Nov 04

I should have mentioned that the LG GSA4160B, as well as supporting all the major DVD formats, ships at £58.98 inc VAT.

Jdoki 17:01 09 Nov 04

Personally I'm a fan of Overclockers UK (try this link to go to the DVD RW section click here), or eBuyer (click here)

I have a Dual Layer Sony drive (DWD-18D I think), however it's already been replaced by the DWU-22D. (Most Sony drives are actually Lite-On models rebadged)

The important thing with most DVD-RW drives is the media you want to write to, you have to be aware firstly of what type of media is compatible - normally DVD-R or DVD+R or both.

Also some disks won't work in some drives. Blank Disc Shop (click here) have a comprehensive range of media, and in their descriptions they usually state if particular drives do (or do not) work with the media.

In my drive I use Datawrite Classic Grey DVD-R disks - these are single layer (4.7GB) but I have never had a coaster - and from the above link they are only about 7quid for 25. I do not use dual layer disks (9.4GB) as the price is still too high.

Finally there is the speed of the drive, x8 is already giving way to x16. However I am more than happy with x8.

As for software Nero is popular and reliable (and cheap from Blank Disc Shop as they do an OEM version).

What else to expect from the drive..? Not sure. You can make your own DVD's which is cool if you want to add a collection of home videos to a disk and add a menu (I'll try and find a link to the authoring software I have).

Ah, and a final (FINAL) point! Most DVD-RW drives also burn CD-R disks, but I have found that many drives are very picky about reading CD-R disks that have been burnt on other drives.

Rayuk 17:15 09 Nov 04

The NEC3500 has had a lot of good write ups and is reasonably priced.
Have a look on todays offers at click here quite a variety on offer

Stuartli 17:55 09 Nov 04

NEC is part of the Matsushita group (includes Panasonic, JVC, Technics etc) and Scan of Bolton (click here) sells the brand and several others.

Often even cheaper on its TodayOnly page.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:59 09 Nov 04

An NEC ND2500A is working very nicely for me. I can back-up more than 4GB to dvd+rw in under 15 minutes, much faster than using 7 cd-rws.

spuds 19:22 09 Nov 04

After reading many reviews, it would appear that NEC,Panasonic and LG have the better edge for reliability and performance on average.I use a Benq DW822A which as a fistful of awards from various sources, works very well for my requirements.This was obtained from Ebuyer at a special offer price, and at the time they sold approximately a couple of thousand within days.

TommyRed 19:23 09 Nov 04

Thanks for all replies, will look through all links. I'm sure it'll make taking an image easier. As my disk space used is up to 22Gb. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…