Anyone got Virgin 8mb BB (not cable)

Jimmy14 21:15 01 Mar 07

Has anyone got Virgins ADSL Unlimited 8mb Broadband Package. If so do you have any comments on it. I would be grateful if someone would do a speed test between 6pm and 11pm who has this service and tell me if they get reliable speeds. I am on Tiscali 8Mb but considering changing as I cant go on Yahoo Messenger between 6pm and 11pm in peak hours due to the incapable networks. They told me engineers are working to improve this but I am not putting up with it.

The Brigadier 13:20 02 Mar 07

I have the 8MB package, but only get 4MB speed with my local exchange.
Speeds are down from 6pm, but thats because the large volume of users, using the service.

Dipso 13:59 02 Mar 07

If you go to click here and select Virgin 8 Meg you get speed results in date order and it also shows the time the test was taken. I have heard they have capacity issues at present.

beeuuem 14:41 02 Mar 07

I have just moved from Virgin 8Mb as the speeds in the afternoon and evening were terrible, anything from 100 kbps to 2Mbps. Normally at the low end of that spectrum
I am 650m from the exchange.
In the early hours of the morning I could get 6.5Mb.
All Virgin would say was that it was the BT servers. I think it was the Virgin servers as the BT tests consistently showed the line was capable of up to 6.5 Mbps.

woodchip 19:38 02 Mar 07

beeuuem
You it the nail on the head, it's a contention ratio problem

Bingalau 21:52 04 Mar 07

I have Virgin Broadband up to 8Mb, however it usually is about 2.9 or 3.6 or something in that area. Can't ever remember seeing it get to 4Mb

Jimmy14 22:22 04 Mar 07

Is the 2.9-3.6 speeds throughout the day or do they start to decrease to kb between 6pm and 11pm. What speed do you usually download at from the internet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…