Any suggestions for US purchases?

Totally-braindead 19:31 29 Jun 04

I'm going across to the Florida in a couple of months and was thinking about purchasing something while I'm over there. Thinking about a new MP3 player maybe. You're allowed to bring back up to £145 worth of goods I believe before the Taxman gets upset. So has anyone any ideas as to what to look for and any info on where to go. Any help/suggestions appreciated. Perhaps theres something else I could consider buying that is much cheaper over there.

bremner 19:38 29 Jun 04

Levi 501 jeans - 2 pairs for £50 currently less than £30.

Totally-braindead 19:48 29 Jun 04

Thanks Bremner, parents were across there last year and picked me up 2 pairs of Wranglers jeans for about £30 so clothes is certainly a thing to consider, really was thinking about computer related stuff though, did think about some PC games, they're really cheap I believe.

ayrmail 21:08 29 Jun 04

one very large bottle of panama jacks after sun, cause you'll fry in august, only good thing about shops in USA air conditioning you'll be begin for it not that i'm trying to put you off but if you've now reconsidered i'll send you my address for the tickets.

billy 21:41 29 Jun 04

What's cheaper in the USA? cars, houses, clothes, music, PCs, software, whisky, wine, etcv etc i.e just about anything. What a rip-oof country we live in.

Totally-braindead 22:26 29 Jun 04

Good points, sorry ayrmail no tickets for you I'm afraid I'm definately going.

sicknote 22:31 29 Jun 04

Don't buy any Sony equipment as they will not support it here in the UK for repairs or spares

woodt 00:19 30 Jun 04

Have a look at They are one of the few USA companies that will take a UK registered Credit card and they will deliver to the Hotel where you will be staying. Give the hotel a ring first.

Computer parts, MP3 players etc are cheaper but not by as much as you would think. Just compare the prices on Amazon and see what you think.

spuds 00:34 30 Jun 04

As sicknote suggested, watch out for the warranty cover. Nothing like having a duff item on return, then nobody wants to know about it.Also remember that when you bring any goods back the UK, it is the customs who decides on the value and not you. Their little black book and a simpathetic customs officer can make all the difference to that allowance.

€dstowe 06:48 30 Jun 04

Keep all the receipts for everything you buy.

Diodorus Siculus 07:56 30 Jun 04

I have just returned from almost 3 weeks in Chicago and had a good bit of time to look around the big PC stores over there. As the dollar is low at the moment prices were a little cheaper than here in the UK but not significantly so. Certainly there were few "must have" deals; given the chance of having to pay import duties at Heathrow, I did not make any substantial purchases. If you do see something, have a look at its cost on a UK site and you will be able to decide on its merits.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…