Any recommendations for external dvd writer

cheven 00:21 06 Jun 05

Can anyone recommend an external dvd writer for use with a toshiba laptop which has a cd writer/dvd read only drive.

Thanks.

De Marcus 06:44 06 Jun 05

does the laptop have firewire / usb2 ??

De Marcus 06:47 06 Jun 05

this one is quite reasonable and uses usb2 click here

SEASHANTY 12:13 06 Jun 05

Or get the multi-format 16x dual layer DVD-R/RW ;
DVD+R/RW ; DVD-RAM model LG-GSA 4163B for £30 inc vat from Blankdiskshop
click here
and install in a CD/DVD external USB2 enclosure such as the Akasa from PlanetMicro
click here

SEASHANTY 12:19 06 Jun 05

In addition to the drive Blankdiskshop also stock
the external enclosures which have both USB2 and Firewire connections. The firewire would be faster than USB2 click here

philbarn 17:52 06 Jun 05

I got my external Liteon drive from these guys click here, it was a few quid cheaper than,on the previous links and next day delivery, they got lots of other bits as well all decent prices

Cya

Phil

cheven 22:04 06 Jun 05

Thanks you guys for your help. Sorry it's taken so long to reply but first chance I've had. My Toshiba is USB1, just missed USB2 coming out, so I have fitted a PCI card which gives me 2xUSB2 and 1xFirewire.

SEASHANTY 15:14 07 Jun 05

Thanks for the link. I didn't realise we had another pc outlet at 572, Hollins Road, Oldham.
Just a busride away from me. They cannot beat
Blankdiscshop tho' - The LG GSA 4163 (shown at bottom of the page in your link is £41-25 inc vat which is £11-26 more expensive. Even paying an extra £5-70 for next day delivery from SVP means its still cheaper from SVP than if I call at the CTI shop.

scotty 11:19 08 Jun 05

Highly recommend LG. Have found them to be reliable and quiet. Having DVD-RAM option available should be a major consideration. Much easier to use and more reliable that other DVD formats. Excellent media for backing up data.

cheven 21:58 16 Jun 05

scotty, Thanks for your recommendation, sorry not to acknowledge sooner but I didn't realise there had been another post. I think I will be going for an LG as I can't find any adverse reports on them. Thanks again.

SEASHANTY 09:07 17 Jun 05

You can also get the LG in black or silver for £32 if you don't want the common beige at £30.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…