Any PC Suppliers who are able to ship overseas?

kenwyn 10:20 01 Jun 03

Hi
I moved to New Zealand 10mths ago & brought a 6 yr old Packard Bell with me, which works fine. Now looking to upgrade, and the local choice is limited and seems to be about 6 mths behind current UK specs. Have any Ex-pats (or otherwise)who subscribe to this forum purchased a PC from a UK supplier who is willing to ship overseas, at reasonable cost? aria will not & Novatech never replied to my email. Dell have a local site, but I would like to look at all alternatives.
Am I right in thinking that a PC shipped directly out of the UK will be Ex VAT? For this reason I am unwilling to just get a mate to buy and ship it for me.
Thanks for any suggestions
Matt.

Forum Editor 12:29 01 Jun 03

is that you will not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty terms if the machine is exported from the UK.

Otherwise I can see only one reason why a maker would not want to ship a machine to you. Shipping computers does carry an inherent risk of damage, and you may have to agree to an "own risk" clause in the terms of sale. It obviously wouldn't be a viable proposition for a manufacturer to accept liability for damage caused in transit - it wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping the computer to and from the UK for repair.

There's also the fact that the cost of shipping would have to be added to the price.

I have a client in Sydney who tells me that he has no problem getting good spec machines - would it not make more sense to ship from there?

spuds 13:41 01 Jun 03

As the FE as suggested, why not try places nearer to home. I have friends in Tasmania, who seem to have top spec machines purchased locally. If you have no alternative, why not try the Hong Kong/Malaysian exporters.I am sure you could find a company from that area, willing to ship to New Zealand.

If you have a local college or chamber of commerce, I am sure that they would have contacts within the computer/IT industry, who could assist you.

But with exporting, problems can happen, and I would suspect that a warranty claim would not be worth chasing,if you purchased from overseas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…