any other alternatives to sticker printing and lightscribe for cd dvd label creation?

theDarkness 13:49 01 Mar 14

I want to create my own permanent disc labels for scanned family photos. The cheap method is to simply print and stick with the possibility of the label peeling over time, or the (more limited?) labelflash or lightscribe laser printing, but are there any other alternative or better options out there?

I am also wondering what method professional media companies use to burn designs permanently on to disc, but I suspect it does not come cheap :) Thanks for any info

bumpkin 14:27 01 Mar 14

Never used one myself but there are printers that will print directly onto a suitable CD or DVD as well as general and photo printing, not that expensive. Try ebay search for CD printers.

BRYNIT 14:36 01 Mar 14

You will need something like CLICK HERE and printable DVD's

theDarkness 00:21 02 Mar 14

Thanks for the replies, I think this is definitely what I am after. After a google, for direct printing I can buy blank dvds with a glossy or matte finish. I think a shiny surface would be very professional looking, but interestingly most professional labels on retail discs I own are not. I wondered how prone either type of disc would be to scratching/poor handling too, so I watched some examples on youtube.

Some youtube uploaders believe or show matte is more prone to ink smear. If most retail discs I own are matte, do not smear, and are essentially using the same method, then I guess any uploaders poor result may be due to the combination of quality of printer,ink and disc used?

BT 17:34 02 Mar 14

Depends on your Printer but Epson DuraBright inks are essentially waterproof. I washed some storage jars the other day with labels printed with Epson Durabright ink and they survived the warm water and Fairy Liquid.

HondaMan 12:35 03 Mar 14

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5