Any Good DVD Players that play SVCD ? .

PhilMeIn 21:42 13 Feb 03

I am looking to buy a DVD Player that must play back SVCD , at the moment i can only play back VCD which i use Ulead VideoStudio 6 to produce from my DV Camcorder . Is there a real improvement using the SVCD format compared to VCD ? .Please help thankyou .

Joe McG 21:45 13 Feb 03

you won't get much better than this at the price.
click here

ams4127 22:11 13 Feb 03

I bought a Toshiba SD220E at Christmas and it plays back SVCD as well as anything else you throw at it. Very good reports in Which? etc.

Yes, there is an improvement over VCD, but it does take extra time in compiling the movie.

siouxah1 22:44 13 Feb 03

click here

Look here for compatibility lists

Regards Brian

kuhbler 01:02 14 Feb 03

There is a better picture with SVCD but the files are much bigger.

VCD (MPEG1) runs at about 10mb per minute of movie.

SVCD (MPEG2) runs at about 30-40mb pre min of movie.

With the VCD, you tend to get pixelation on the screen when there is a lot of movement.

Mr Scone 10:32 14 Feb 03

Available from Lidl for £69. Plays everything (VCD, SVCD, picture cd etc) has 5.1 output & region free too (just change the region by pressing 9999 when dvd is ejected).

Lead 11:33 14 Feb 03

I am very happy with my JVC player.

click here

It was very difficult to find a DVD player that would play SVCDs and was Black. What's all that about? My TV is black, my VCR is black, my cable decoder is dark blue (almost black); so why do manufacturers insist on everything being silver nowadays? I want a Widescreen TV, but can't find one at the spec and price I require in black. :(

Lead 11:36 14 Feb 03

Sorry, link doesn't work outside of my session. :o

It was pointing towards the JVC XVS302

Lead 11:37 14 Feb 03

Now it works. Doh!

Ben Avery (Work) 13:46 14 Feb 03

I agree with ams4127 - I also have the Toshiba SD220E and it's a fatastic player which is very easy to set up.

A 5* What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision product of the year none the less!

Saying that, look online at click here and you'll get one so cheap, it'll blow ya socks off.

Ben Avery (Work) 13:51 14 Feb 03

the link on mine points to the SD220E but is not the multi-region version so won't play them.

Mine however will, got it from click here for a bargain price.

It will also play RCE encoded discs unlike many players. These are Regioned discs designed to play in the correct SINGLE REGION player ONLY (like Charlies Angels - the Region 1 version is RCE encoded so will not play in a region 2 DVD player even it it's multi region hacked, unless it has RCE encoding too)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…