Any BT broadband engineers in the house?

Forum Editor 19:50 08 Apr 04

Prompted by favourable comments from several forum members I decided to upgrade my home office broadband connection from the existing 512mbps to the 1Mb service.

Ordered over ten days ago, line check carried out and certified OK, and activation date confirmed as 05/04. That day came and went, as did several others until, anxious to have the new service for Easter I rang this morning and went into 'polite but firm' mode. I was promised that an engineer was in my exchange 'this very morning' and would ensure that I was surfing at warp speed by tonight.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but I will.

Not only am I not surfing at 1Mb speed, I now have no broadband service at all. Apparently the engineer has "left a problem in the exchange" whatever that means. I've been told that said engineer (maybe a different one) will sort it all out "within 48 hours" as it's urgent - heaven only knows how long a non-urgent problem takes.

In the meantime yours truly is sitting in a home-office that's stuffed with sophisticated hardware, editing the forum on a laptop and a 56K dial up connection.

Stop laughing this instant.

Big Elf 20:14 08 Apr 04

I will keep this short as you can't download too much at the moment. Can we help?

spikeychris 20:14 08 Apr 04

Giggle, I will type this S.L.O.W.L.Y...Good luck.

Chris walks out of room with hand over gob

leo49 20:28 08 Apr 04

:o) No pain,no gain.. ;o)

spikeychris 20:31 08 Apr 04

This just reminds me of one or two things....at work we broadcast on ISDN (outside broadcasts) and the sound quality is fantastic. Now as with ALL 21st century technology at some point it dies, so we revert to a system that was developed in the fifties (I think) its called a Wood and Douglas....old but ALWAYS works.........

Keep paying your phone bill Pete and your laughing

Mister Splendid 20:49 08 Apr 04

I had BT Broadband 1Mb service installed a few weeks ago. Worked perfectly straight away. Great you might think, HA.

The engineer found a fault in the exchange. For 12 days, no voice telephone service. Very fast internet service though, and a £50 refund for loss of service!

ayrmail 21:12 08 Apr 04

Got broadband through telewest they came out on the 29th Dec to fit it after giving me a date in January after I asked if they could do it any quicker, only 512, but run two pc off it and get very good results. Pay £51 a month and get no phone bills.

The Spires 21:21 08 Apr 04

Life can be cruel sometimes. :-)

stalion 21:39 08 Apr 04

They will get it right one day but when?

ade.h 22:21 08 Apr 04

....when it's chilly in hell?!

VoG II 22:25 08 Apr 04

1 Mb/s is a bit slow for my liking.

Hope you get it sorted. Got cable? - Blueyonder are excellent. BT are, ... well swearing not allowed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…