An anxious new TIME owner!!!

ALIENBUILD2000 20:57 26 Nov 03

Hi people I am new to this forum and this is my first posting.

Today I have just bought a Time Machine 3000 which comes with an AMD XP3000+ processor, 1024MB DDR Ram, 160GB Hard Disk, 256MB Radeon graphics, PC-TV with remote, DVD RW +&-, 15” TFT and 3yr support. All for £1300.

I was looking forward to delivery but having read some of the posts on this forum it has got me a little worried now.

Have I just purchased an expensive metal bucket with cheap components that will only be worth using for washing my car or should this PC live up to its high spec and bring me many hours of happy PC’ing!!

Hope you people can reassure me. TIME computers are good?? Aren't they???

canard 21:03 26 Nov 03

Cheer up! I had a Time as my first PC and knew zilch. It gave me loads of pleasure and although it [stil] has its little ways and needs understanding it has survived 3 years of misuse by a PC nitwit.

Darren184 21:06 26 Nov 03

Stick the name of any PC company into this forums search and you'll see 20+ messages on each saying how bad the service is.

Just remember though, these companies sell thousands of units a week so the percentage of unhappy customers is very low.

That said, I've always stayed well clear of time machines.....!!!

lixdexik 21:08 26 Nov 03

some more than others. People generaly post with problems, you dont get many posts from the thousands of happy owners..Keep your fingers crossed that you will be one of the many happy owners.

Cheers Lixdexik.

Dipso 21:26 26 Nov 03

I am still running a 3 year old Time machine. I have been considering replacing it for the latest offering from Medion (to be sold in Aldi stores from tomorrow) but, to be honest, I am happy enough with what I have.
Apart from a compatibility issue with the version of Norton AV which was bundled, and problems with the bundled scanner, again this could have been compatibility (or my lack of experience) I have been overall, very happy with it.
I have just replaced the CD/DVD combo drive as it was starting to fail and I needed to back-up my most important docs. I bought a cheap replacement and installed it myself, no problem.
The only thing I would advise is, make sure you get some sort of recovery disc I didn't and regretted it. Time don't supply the Windows OS disc so you could be in a mess if your system crashes. When I looked into buying one Time wanted £60 for it which I think is a bit steep.
I hope I haven't put you off, I didn't intend to.

MichelleC 21:31 26 Nov 03

I bought mine from Mr Spock 4 years ago and it's still going strong, even with it's Fujitsu hd. It's had a few upgrades and I use it for dv editing etc. The only iffy bit was all the inane free software.

BTW they're the only retailer with the courage to have a presence on this forum to troubleshoot. And they seem to do it well.

bfoc 22:18 26 Nov 03

Do indeed have an active prescence here, which should be reassuring, but they are not the only retailer to do so!

Bapou 22:55 26 Nov 03

I have no complaints about my 'Time' machine bought 18 months ago.

Have never had need to phone the helpline and that appears to be the bone of contention with many buyers.

Way1 22:59 26 Nov 03

I have both a Time machine and a Mesh and neither has given me any trouble whatsoever, so for your first computer, you have chosen well.

Bapou 23:07 26 Nov 03

I'd almost forgot and it's worth a mention, I had a phone call the other day. Young feller called Mike of Time Computers,asking if all was well with my purchase, did I need any assistance?

OK he was offering a DVD Writer to Time customers at a reduced price but I was somewhat surprised at being contacted. My warranty was up 6 months ago so as far as I was concerned we parted company then.

Darren184 23:14 26 Nov 03'll stay on a database as a customer, you may have ticked a box to be kept notified of any offers.

Asking if everything was ok is a handy in route into trying to sell you "do ya wanna buy...." which I had off one rep.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…