Antivirus Software

MMN DESIGN 15:26 30 Aug 05

I am currently running Norton Internet Security 2005. I have been reviewing the reviews and have pretty much come to the conclusion that the antivirus portion of the program is not quite up to snuff. I have recently downloaded a free trial version of Trojan Hunter. At the moment both programs start at boot-up, and are both in the systems' tray. Will the 2 programs conflict??

Secondly, I also have ad-aware professional which comes with adwatch. I also have spyware blaster and spyguard. All of these programs are in the system tray monitoring.

Is anybody aware of any known conflicts. And if so, what are your reccommendations??

THANK-YOU ALL

RESPECTFULLY.....Mark

Jackcoms 15:35 30 Aug 05

Can't comment on Trojan Hunter because I don't know the product

But NIS, AdAware, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard will all happily live together (I speak from personal experience).

spuds 19:04 30 Aug 05

All you want is Zonealarm,AVG or Avast,Spybot,AdAware,a2squared,Spyware Blaster and you have a good combination of great non-conflicting security/safeguard devices that should cover you for all eventualities [if kept updated]. The best thing is that they are not resource hogging [like Norton] and are available as free downloads with regular free updates.

bremner 19:13 30 Aug 05

Spuds has one view -

Another is that four antispyware programs is overkill and the use of MS Antispyware on it's own is more than sufficient.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:03 30 Aug 05

AVG + MSAntispy has always been more than enough for me and all free.

G

hzhzhz 20:11 30 Aug 05

I use AVG.+MS antispy + spyware doctor + spybot and never have a problem. I ousted Norton a while back. Seems to have been a good move.

Jackcoms 20:12 30 Aug 05

"AVG + MSAntispy has always been more than enough for me".

Interesting use of the word "always". MS AntiSpyware has only been available since January 2005 - which hardly qualifies as "always".

bremner 20:32 30 Aug 05

For three months I ran MS Antispyware as my primary spyware program and each time I ran a scan I also ran Adaware and Spybot.

Not once did they find anything untoward that MSAS had missed. ( MSAS does not report minor inconsequential cookies that the other two did).

As a result of this I removed Adaware and Spybot and have run MSAS alone.

DieSse 22:48 30 Aug 05

Probably the best AV there is - and certainly the model others should aspire to - for detection rates, speed, low system overheads, updating, and support - is NOD32 click here

Read their detection records in The Virus Bulletin.

30 day trial - then you pay per year and you get ALL updates - AV patterns and Versions too.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:00 31 Aug 05

Not wishing to be pedantic but I used AVG and Adaware before that and they always protected me. AVG has never let a virus through so the virus bulletin tests are of little interest to me.

G

spuds 09:56 31 Aug 05

I used MS 'beta' Antispy version one with no problems and find it was fairly good,but upgrading to version two I seem to have had a number of problems to the point that I uninstalled it from my system.I will most likely return to this programme when a version three or non-beta is released.

Reading this and other forums, it seems to be a similar scenerio, some have no problems, others have had problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…