Antivirus Software

sdf 12:12 05 Sep 04

In the very near future my Symantec live update subscription will expire, I am wondering if instead of blindly coughing up for another years worth of live updates if I looked at some of the competition. I am currently using Antivirus & Firewall 2003 in conjunction with System Works Pro 2003 on XP Pro (SP2). Are there any cheap viable alternatives apart from MacAfee which I personally just don’t like to the Symantec bundle I am currently using? I know there were some tests done by PCA a few issues back on a variety or security suites but I cannot find the mag with them in. Thoughts welcome

smokingbeagle² 12:26 05 Sep 04

click here
I didn't want to cough up for renewal either. The Panda av and firewall are less than £10 inc P&P.
Uninstall Norton and reinstall the bits which don't require subscription ie defrag / disk doctor etc.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:26 05 Sep 04

AVG click here run a mailing list of 85+ people that use it and are delighted. Any old firewall will do...sygate, kerio...there is no need for a home user to pay for firewalls or AV as paying will not get any better protection.

G

Being on my 12th / 30th day of using the free trial of Panda Platinum, which I find is very good, and knowing that the retail cost is usually fairly expensive (in the region of £50?), Seeing the OEM version for £7.62 is quite astounding.

Does this version give you a year’s subscription or is that why it is so cheap?

Diodorus Siculus 14:52 05 Sep 04

Avast snd Sygate Personal will do the same for you; combined with MailWasher you will be more than adequately secure if you are a home user.

Belatucadrus 14:59 05 Sep 04

click here for avast! 4 another free option click here for a posting comparing the merits of avast and AVG.
click here for Kerio firewall. The license terms permit free copies to non profit home users only. Business users have to pay for them. So if you qualify and don't have money to burn, why not take advantage of their offer.

my previous post should read smokingbeagle² in the title.

I have tried both AVG and Avast before but have never felt comfortable with them, especially avast's ridiculous user-interface.

Also, Zonealarm caused problems when trying to play some online games and I don't particularly like the other free firewalls on offer.

If i can get Panda Platinum for £7.62 with a years subscription, I would much rather do that.

smokingbeagle² 16:48 05 Sep 04

Seems to update daily.

Belatucadrus 17:53 05 Sep 04

If you don't like the look of the avast interface, click here change it.

citadel 18:09 05 Sep 04

the retail boxed norton 2004 has a new interface that is easy to use.

spuds 19:01 05 Sep 04

A selection of handy downloads from click here [list on the side]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…