Antispyware Software...Which is best??

Grr... 00:11 22 Dec 05

Hi just wondering what everyones advise is on free antispyware/trojon detection? I realise something is necessary...I'm using Avast! (free home edition) at the moment for virus protection, but was wondering what would work wel with it etc...

Cheers
x

ashdav 00:36 22 Dec 05

Spybot Search & Destroy click here
Spywareblaster click here
Both of these stop adware.trojans etc being installed.
Adaware click here
This will scan and detect spyware but will not prevent its installation (free version anyway)
I recommend all of these be used at the same time.
I use Avast and Zone Alarm as well and nothing has ever got onto my computer since I started using them.

ashdav 00:39 22 Dec 05

As an addition be sure to update them at least once a week. You have to do this manually but that's the price you pay for them being free.
It's very easy, just click on the update button shown on each one.

david_uk 02:13 22 Dec 05

I strongly advise that you do not rely soley upon free software for protection against spyware. you might get away with using free software for your anti-virus requirements but not anti-spyware. spyware doctor is the best and that is what i'll be using for my new pc and possibly 'true sword' as well, for protection against any possible hijacking of .exe files. complement these licensed packages with the free ones if you like, together with microsofts own anti-spyware. all of those combined should keep you close to 100% protected. If you just rely upon free packages you will be just ~60% protected.

jimv7 09:35 22 Dec 05

As ashdav has said plus ms antispyware

click here

free A2 software click here

this will protect you as well as any paid for applications.

No spy/malware software is 100% so why waste the pennies.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:44 22 Dec 05

All I use is AVG, MS Antispy (both free) and a lot of common sense. If you do not use common sense no amount of protection will help you.

G

achilles123 18:56 09 Feb 06

I had a play with this...the trial "found" about 40 malicious items, including Norton's ccapp, spool32.exe, taskmon.exe, and many in Java. This in a system declared clean by a-squared, Norton, Spybot and AdAware. I think the shareware trial is more scareware!

VoG II 19:02 09 Feb 06
  Totally-braindead 19:16 09 Feb 06

Counterspy, click here free for 15 days then $19.95 for a year or £29.95 for 2 licences which you can split with a friend which I did, so it cost me $14.98 which is only £8.60 for a year.

RobCharles1981 19:27 09 Feb 06

Ive also thought about Webroot Spysweeper is that any good ??

The Spires 19:58 09 Feb 06

If you fill the survey in on the Ewido Anti-Malware you get the program for £13 odd. Then fill a differant survey in when you have applied the licence you get an extra month to your years licence, only takes a few mins. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…