Anti Virus software - Any recommendations?

Ascal 10:39 03 Nov 04

I was using Norton Anti Virus 2003 on my old pc and was perfectly happy with it and was going to get the 2004 version but have heard loads of negative comments about it. Is the 2005 version any better? Or is there any other software that you could recommend?

Thanks.

pj123 11:07 03 Nov 04

AVG free from click here

Timmy!! 11:34 03 Nov 04

I've tried them all but always seem to come back to McAfee myself. The new version (8) does spyware and malware too.

AVG is free and also pretty cool tho.

Noelg23 12:32 03 Nov 04

I would also recommend AVG Free...you can never go wrong..

smokingbeagle 12:37 03 Nov 04

I use Panda now after switching from Norton. I think it is excellent and good value for AV and Firewall (£8.81+P&P).
click here

Chris..b 12:39 03 Nov 04

Ive ahd norton 2005 on several computers and ive had no problems and it seems to provide the best overall protection

is good & free, have used it for a few years now.

click here

961 14:25 03 Nov 04

I've used AVG free for some years but now use Avast free

Both work well and have kept me virus free for so long as I can remember

Both will update automatically but do not tie up computer resources

Can't quite see the point of paying for anything else if you are a home user

Cherrypicker 16:52 03 Nov 04

Have tried Norton 2004 Internet Security which has Anti Virus and Firewall. It was very good but slowed macine down so much that I had to uninstall it and went back to AVG and ZoneAlarm. Both are free and VERY good.

accord 18:17 03 Nov 04

Since formatting my HDD and reinstalling XP with SP2 I have binned Norton Internet Security 2003 and now use AVG. I have not looked back and find the pc runs smoother aswell. Also, use Zone Alarms Pro.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:56 03 Nov 04

Norton Anti-virus 2003 is excellent and you don't really need to replace it. Symantec seemed to lose the plot with the 2004 version and it caused many problems, mainly causing slowdown. It appears with the 2005 version they are back on track again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…