Anti-Virus - On E-bay any recommendations?

Paraaanoid Android 15:08 02 May 06

I am in the process of shopping around for a new anti-virus package. My P.C uses Windows XP O/S employing a AMD Athtlon 2.3 Ghz processor with 512Mb DDR ram.

I use E-bay for a vast amount of my online shopping solutions and to date have found some great bargains. Some of the auctions for AV software offer deals that include free updates for life for an initial outlay far less than the markret leader anti-virus packages such as Norton or Mcafee.

Before parting with my hard earned cash I wonder if any one in this forum can advise either through personal experiences or technical knowledge?

Stuartli 15:20 02 May 06

Why not just use Avast! (self updating), AVG or similar and save some money?

For home users these are more than adequate

Aspman 15:32 02 May 06

Remember if you are purchasing AV you are not really buying software but a service and you are really paying for the supsciption to the service. AV on ebay could have been installed on another machine and you may not get the supbscription you think you are buying.

I'd go with Stuartli and try Avast. It can throw an error message if you use Zonealarm but it's easily sorted by following the instructions on screen.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:37 02 May 06

Why not use AVG or Avast. There is no need for a home user to pay for an AV.

Totally-braindead 15:40 02 May 06

Agree with the others theres no need to pay, just get AVG or Avast.

dth 15:44 02 May 06

see here for avg

click here

DieSse 16:24 02 May 06

Or get NOD32, which is not free, but is a superior AV in many ways -

Faster - smaller system impact - far better heuristics (ability to detect unknown viruses) - no need ever to buy new versions - just a yearly update fee gives you all updates, AV patterns and new and updated versions.

click here

Snec 03:17 03 May 06

Wind-up Alert!!!

DieSse 09:53 03 May 06

*Wind-up Alert!!!*

If you really think this, it would be *useful* to say why - I can't see anything here that would indicate a wind-up.

Arnie 12:34 03 May 06

"There is no need for a home user to pay for an AV".

Any ideas how I can get a free TV licence without waiting for another 5 years. (:o)

Belatucadrus 22:12 03 May 06

The other thing to watch on e-bay is the version of the package for sale. Some people aren't above flogging old unsupported variants.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…