anti spyware

student86 19:40 26 Jul 05

what is hte best antispyware software out there i used to think that micosoft antispyware was the best but after reading this click here i have thought twice. what do you think?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:55 26 Jul 05

I use MS Antispy and AVG without a firewall+a modicum of common sense and have had no problems at all in 4 years. I see 3/4 computers a week and use MS Antispy on each and it always finds the problems and I NEVER have to resort to HJT logs. Make of this what you will. You do not need to have paranoid level of 'defences' Get a decent free AV (Avast, AVG), a decent firewall if you think that you need one (Sygate), MS Antispy and one other such as Spybot or Adaware. Combined with a little common sense that takes 15 minutes to go through and you will be well protected.

This is what most spyware forums neglect to mention as it tends to burst their air of clannishness......1) Keep your AV and anti-spy programmes up to date on a daily basis or everytime you go on the net.

2) lay off the sites that display people who have had all their clothes stolen. They are generally not illegal and we live in a 'free' country, so remember that you must not click any 'yes' buttons and never agree to install any programmes, enter yes to join a 'survey' or toolbar buttons. View and never click is the golden rule. The huge amount of Pr0n addresses that I see in the history files leads me to believe that these sites are a lot more popular than is talked about in polite society and confirms the reports that they form 80% of all net traffic ;-))))

3) Children.....they are usually the #1 culprits. I can usually guarantee that any household with teenagers will have some sort of infection even with any firewall known to mankind. Children are targeted because they usually do not know the problems that downloading toolbar helpers and activeX programmes can cause. They must not download any free programmes no matter how enticing.

4) Spend half an hour reading about spyware etc., it is not rocket science and they all work on the basis that you will have given them permission to run. This will probably have been given unwittingly so you need to be aware of clicking on any programmes or dialogue boxes.

5) Get a good AV, MS Antispy and Adaware as a back up. Use a LITTLE common sense and you will never have a serious problem.

6) Do not share files. A shared folder on a computer is NOT safe. When you download a file you are giving permission for that file so a firewall or AV will let it through and they could easily miss a virus or Trojan. Lay off sharing on Messenger; this is probably the unsafest sort of file sharing and the root cause of problems on teenager's computers. If you get sent an attachment on an email be cautious about opening it especially if it is from someone who you do not know.

click here for the full monty. I tend to disregard lab tests as most are lame or not connected to Planet Earth.

G

student86 20:08 26 Jul 05

i had p cillin 2005 before i removed it recently. it needed to be updated and the computer restarted every couple of minutes. i am sure something was wrong with it. is it normal for it to want to be updated at least twice every hour.

spuds 20:25 26 Jul 05

Some sound advice from G, but I have had many problems with the latest version of Microsoft 'Beta', and I understand via the form that some other members have had problems as well.In my case, one question is the negative responses that I seem to get, when other programmes that I have installed, seems to give positives and find invaders that Microsoft seems to have missed.But as the programme is still a 'beta'then I suppose there are bugs that will need ironing out, before Microsoft release the main version.

Here's some info/reviews possibly worth a browse click here click here click here

spuds 20:25 26 Jul 05

Some sound advice from G, but I have had many problems with the latest version of Microsoft 'Beta', and I understand via the form that some other members have had problems as well.In my case, one question is the negative responses that I seem to get, when other programmes that I have installed, seems to give positives and find invaders that Microsoft seems to have missed.But as the programme is still a 'beta'then I suppose there are bugs that will need ironing out, before Microsoft release the main version.

Here's some info/reviews possibly worth a browse click here click here click here

spuds 20:27 26 Jul 05

Appologies for duplication, site time-out came into play.

student86 20:51 26 Jul 05

i am going to follow the advice given, thanks.

MMN DESIGN 23:03 17 Aug 05

As you all are well aware trojans are on amission. The question i pose is.....What is the best trojan detection software on the market? and, who has the largest database on trojans??

THANK-YOU

spuds 22:28 18 Aug 05

Best to post your question on a new separate posting, for a better response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…