Another side to the fight against spam

Nosmas 10:19 16 May 04

I am probably fortunate in that I don't suffer from a large volume of spam, and I use MailWasher to delete whatever does reach me.

However just recently my mail ISP (Freenet.co.uk) has decided to use Spamcop to prevent spam reaching their clients mailboxes. Apparently this works by Spamcop adding to a 'blacklist' the names of anyone for whom they receive a (unquantified) number of complaints. This can result in legitimate emails being prevented from reaching you.

I subscribe to two newsletters - keepAhead and Windows-Help.NET - which suddenly stopped appearing in my mailbox. I contacted the former and they seem to have managed to get their name taken off the 'blacklist'. The latter one sent me a number of emails saying my subscription had been 'blocked' because at least two recent newsletters had either been bounced or could not be delivered at all. Although I did as requested and sent a 'unhold' message to them by email and received their confirmation that my subscription 'has been reset to normal', I have still not seen a resumption of the newsletter.

Freenet said they could do nothing about it and it was up to the sender to contact Spamcop to convince them they were legitimate and to have their name removed from the 'blacklist'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac