Is this another scam going round ?

Newuser2555 08:17 20 Oct 03

I received this E mail this morning, I have put a block on future E mails, but not sure what else to do ?
Fax No.: 17752061036

Attn.,

First, I must solicit your strictest confidence in this transaction. This is by virtue of its nature
as being utterly confidential and "top secret". We are top officials of the Federal
Government Contract
Review Panel who are interested in importation of goods into our country with funds that
are presently trapped in Nigeria. In order to commence this business, we solicit your
assistance to enable
us transfer into your account the said-trapped funds.

The source of the fund is as follows: During the regime of the last Military transitional
government of Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, government officials set up companies and
awarded themselves
contracts which were grossly over invoiced in various ministries. The present democratic
government of President Olusegun Obasanjo set up the Contract Review Panel and we
have identified a
lot of inflated contract funds that are presently floating in the Central Bank of Nigeria ready
for payment. However, by virtue of our position as civil servants and members of this panel,
we cannot
acquire
this money in our names. I have therefore been delegated as a matter of trust by my
colleagues in the panel, to look for an oversea partner into whose account we would
transfer the sum of US
$31,320,000.00 (Thirty-One Million, Three Hundred and Twenty thousand United States
Dollars) in which we hope to use in purchasing Agro Allied equipment, and to enable us to
own properties
and invest in the stable economy of your country. Hence, we are sending you this email
message. We have agreed to share the money thus:

1. 20% for the account owner (you)
2. 70% for us (the officials of the CRP)
3. 10% to be used in settling taxation and all local and foreign expenses.

Due to our poor Telecommunication system and for purpose of strict confidentiality you are
to respond via the above AMERICAN FAX NUMBER. Please acknowledge receipt of this
message for
proper briefing on the safe modality for the execution.

Yours faithfully
Chief Nelson Udu.

NOTE: PLEASE QUOTE THIS REFERENCE NUMBER (NU/10/03) IN ALL YOUR
REPONSE.

Jester2K II 09:13 20 Oct 03

Very old scam called 419 Nigerian Scam click here

Belatucadrus 09:34 20 Oct 03

click here for Metropolitan Police 419 advice page.

Stuartli 09:59 20 Oct 03

Surely you didn't have to ask the question in the first place...:-)

PurplePenny 12:32 20 Oct 03

I've taken to reading the Nigerian scams. Some of them are very funny. A recent one said that his father was a "business magnet" who died mysteriously on a trip to France ... can't help thinking that maybe he went to close to the Eiffel Tower and starved to death when all attempts to demagnetize him failed :-)

Then there is the one whose sister is "at present tragically dead" - so we assume from this that his sister will be resurrected soon to be part of another scam.

Have you seen the T-shirt? "All my money went to Africa and all I got was this lousy T-shirt".

PurplePenny

Stuartli 12:57 20 Oct 03

Your comment about the sister "at present tragically dead" reminds me of the slogan on the Raid fly/wasp killer aerosols.

It states: "Kills Bugs Dead".....

Doubly effective it would seem.

Alan Ryan 13:52 20 Oct 03

Had a ridiculous scam from Nigeria a few weeks ago - it offered to help me "sink" my funds in a Nigerian oil well !

graham√ 14:22 20 Oct 03

Someone posted a site advertising a conference for such Emailers. Anyone saved it?

Jack D 15:19 20 Oct 03

Saw thar site, "tragically, I didn't save it"

Belatucadrus 16:28 20 Oct 03

Welcome to the 3rd annual Nigerian e-mail conference click here remember to bring your own cricket, the hotel stock escaped last week. "Be rest assured that this transaction is 100% risk free." ;-)

Alan Ryan 16:42 20 Oct 03

Just had an amusing visit to the hilarious Nigerian E-mail Conference: I'm a bit surprised this site hasn't been suppressed (yet ?) by some "authority" or other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…