Another pat on the back for Voodoo

Kate B 22:58 28 Apr 05

As you all know, my nutter machine is on order from Voodoo, and I have yet another reason to be impressed with them today.

We're going away for a month in a couple of weeks' time - about the time the nutter machine is due to arrive. I emailed them today asking if they can't get it out before I go if they could possibly hold on to the shipping so that it arrives after we get back from our four and a half week tropical holiday (Australia, since you ask ...)

They're brilliant. CCd me in on the email conversation with the production unit and then said they're doing their best to get it shipped by May 18, if not they'll hold it till we get back.

I'm really impressed. Yeah, I'm spending a lot of money but this personal touch is something I've never really experienced from any online retailer.

Forum Editor 00:06 29 Apr 05

is always a pleasant surprise, although it shouldn't be.

Enjoy your Australian trip - I go there fairly often to work, and always envy my client, an Englishman who lives and runs a business in Sydney. Over the past three years I've seen some of the wonders of Australia with him and his wife (when we should have been working), and I envy you the luxury of your month's holiday. If your itinerary permits do try to visit the Whitsundays - 74 paradise islands, floating in the barrier reef.

Kate B 13:01 29 Apr 05

I'm all for pleasant surprises, particularly from online retailers.

Thanks for the good wishes about the hol, too - I've been to Oz many times but my other half hasn't so we're both really looking forward to it. In fact we are indeed planning to do the Whitsundays - I haven't been to that part of Queensland. We're planning out via Singapore (where I will buy a PSP!), down to Darwin for a gander at Kakadu, then the Red Centre so I can have my third and John can have his first look at that amazing desert scenery and then on to Cairns, from where we'll potter gently down the coast to Brisbane before coming home via Hong Kong.

And it seems I'll have been able to play with the beast before I go, too, which is excellent.

Eyres rock is just that a few houses around but nothing but desert for 100s of miles Far better going to either Ned Kellys area Queensland or Western Australia particularly Bunbury south of Perth Have fun pommie that is what you areI actually found the gold rush mines & where they were picked great fun try click here this guy is a real bushranger I thoroughly reccomend him for your host or travel guide Home made beer/wine wonderful

Kate B 16:02 29 Apr 05

kellybouncas, thanks for those tips! Actually, I absolutely love the scenery around Ayers Rock - I like my scenery stark - and my other half hasn't been there and it's such an iconic place to see.

speedytomato75 00:23 30 Apr 05

I can agree with the statement that bunbury is nice as i happen to live here (bunbury)

Forum Editor 01:23 30 Apr 05

Be careful not to refer to Ayers rock any more. It's called Uluru, and must be referred to as such in any official Australian documents.

speedytomato75 03:54 30 Apr 05

I dont think they will lock u up 4 it though Kate

Forum Editor 08:44 30 Apr 05

but on my last visit I was warned about it by a humourless person in one of the offices where I work. She got quite tetchy with me when I referred to Ayers rock, and delivered a little lecture about the 'official' name. It stuck in my mind ever since.

Joe R 09:01 30 Apr 05

Was in Sydney four years ago, and whilst reading a brochure, came upon a statement, advertising Uluru, which stated " also known by whites as Ayers rock ".

Kate B 11:43 30 Apr 05

Yes, I know that Aussies can be rather humourless about these things - the Olgas, which I always thought a rather poetic name for the equally beautiful domes nearby, are now called Kata Tjuta.

Thing is, we're so inconsistent in English about our use of "correct" names. One afternoon at my previous employer, the FT, a message went round that we must henceforth call Bombay Mumbai and Madras Chennai, though Calcutta would, for the paper, retain its "colonial" name rather than be known as Kolkata.

I responded by asking why we didn't use the full local name for Bangkok, which is
Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit. Locals call it Krung Thep, to be fair.

Needless to say that suggestion didn't go down well, not least because it would make writing a headline a nightmare.

For those who wish to know, it means
The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.

And for those who fear we're now well off the computer track, I might add that I found both of those on Google *wrenches discussion back into computer-land*

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…