Angry?You Bet I'm Angry!Security Software A Joke!

Big L 266 12:43 24 Nov 09

Hello.

My computer security is absolutely paramount. I have the complete McAfee security suite,plus a host of others usually recommended by PC Advisor and forum members.I run complete scans once a week and,on Sunday 15th November,I was bug free after 5 hours of running them.

Come Tuesday 17th,I noticed two transactions on my credit card statement which didn't make sense.I found that I had ordered a computer wargame and signed up with a firm for goodness knows what.Needless to say I rang both firms and told them each transaction was a fraud and they kindly reimbursed my account. I then cancelled my credit card and a new one is due shortly.

I'm angry because it appears that I have had my details stolen whilst doing an online transaction on a secure website. The credit card firm agrees this is probably how it was done. I'm also very angry that not one of my security suites picked up on a hacker.

I spent about an hour or two looking for some security software which would rid me of any hacker or keylogger. I eventualy found something called Identity Patrol v2.0. I downloaded the tester and it found 1300 items of rubbish not found by any of my so-called current security paid-for packages. I paid my money and then ran the full paid-for version. It still found 1300 items of which a hundred or so were keyloggers. I enjoyed pushing the remove button and watching all the bugs die!

I'm angry because the paid-for security prior to this didn't find any of them.How can this be so?How can I pay for things which clearly aren't fit for purpose? How can these things not find this number of bugs when I do full sweeps every week?I am so livid that there is now not one item of security software anywhere you can buy which does all things in one place.Why is this?

I've ran the new one daily now and it finds things that one of the leading security software makers programmes never finds.I'm just thankful I check my credit card and bank account on a daily basis now to make sure my money and details aren't subjected to further abuse. If I could find the hacker,I would slit its throat.

Angry?You bet I'm angry! Security software really is a joke!

Input Overload 12:53 24 Nov 09

I'm puzzled how you accumulated so much junk & or, is this new program one of the many & increasing daily pieces of software that just give false reports & never actually do anything.

Download A-Squared Free, if that doesn't find anything you don't have any nasties. It really is that good. I've been on the net nearly 15 years and in all that time have had only one virus lose on my PC. My AV Anti-Spyware has stopped quite a few though.

birdface 12:54 24 Nov 09

Some very poor reviews on here for .maybe you have gone from bad to worse.

click here

Input Overload 12:56 24 Nov 09

Looking through Google the program you used does seem to be kosher, so I'm probably wrong abut it just generating false positives. What programs did you use before please?

Woolwell 13:02 24 Nov 09

"I have the complete McAfee security suite,plus a host of others". It is possible that the host of others is creating a conflict.
It is not unknown for programs to generate false positives to encourage people to buy. I cannot believe that you had 1300 items. I have been using the internet for may years and have never had any major problem. If you are sensible where you click, look for the padlock when paying, use reputable sites only, have an up todate recognised anti-virus, fireware and malware then you shouldn't get any problems.
I do wonder if the details were obtained from you or the company which took your details.

beeuuem 13:43 24 Nov 09

"The credit card firm agrees this is probably how it was done"
How would they know? While it is conceivable that the card details were obtained on-line, the 'old fashioned' way of skimming the card is just as likely.

I have quite literally just had a call from a friend who was contacted by her CCC this morning about her card being used for several on-line purchases. These amount to several £K. The only time any of her cards has been used on line was when I set up a 'phone account for her. She made the jump that as a card had been used on line and the fraud was on-line purchases, that must be the link. In fact, the fraud is on a different card. As she has no internet access the details must have been obtained some other way.

So you may well have wasted your money on Identity Patrol v2.0

wee eddie 14:10 24 Nov 09

Please give us a list of the security software that you have installed.

As has been mentioned, your "host of others" may contain a rogue.

BT 17:28 24 Nov 09

I have used the full MacAfee Security suite for several years and it has always performed very well and has never allowed anything in. I also run Malwarebytes occasionally and it has never picked up anything.
I had a Credit Card attempted fraud last year which was intercepted by the CC company but as far as I know was not connected with online useage as such, more likely at the company concerned having untrustworthy staff.

ened 17:53 24 Nov 09

All you are doing when you use one security package and a "host of others" is slowing down your pc.

If you have a router it will have a firewall, then there is Windows Firewall, which I have found to be perfectly adequate. Windows Defender, if kept up-to-date, and some anti-virus is all you need.

I don't have any problems and I cannot see how you have acquired 1300 of them. I suspect, as has been mentioned, they were not serious problems, maybe even necessary files which you will discover when you try to use something with which they were associated.

I have been using my credit card on-line for years and the only problem I had was when I gave the details over the telephone.

Why pay for something that is just as good, if not better, when it is either free of comes bundled with the OS?

Forum Editor 18:07 24 Nov 09

plus a host of others"

I have one anti virus application, one malware application, and one firewall. I can't remember when I last had a computer virus, or a Trojan, and I have certainly never had trouble with a keylogger in the many years I have used computers. Not once have any of my office or personal machines been 'hacked', despite all of them being connected to the internet almost permanently.

If a credit card company told me that my card details were probably stolen whilst I was carrying out a transaction on a secure website I would be looking for a new card provider the next day - it's a silly, sweeping statement to make. It's extremely unlikely that your card details were misappropriated in this way, and it's extremely unlikely that your computer has been hacked - it's rare for it to happen to a home computer.

Any 'tester' that finds 1300 items of "rubbish" including 100 keyloggers on an ordinary home computer is almost certainly lying. You would have to trawl through some of the internet's darkest corners on a regular basis to accumulate that quantity of harmful files.

My guess is that your card was compromised in some other way - the most likely culprits are petrol stations, or anywhere where your card is removed from your hand for even a few seconds.

Nobody needs to run five hours of scans on a home computer - that's an excessive, one might almost say obsessive, amount of attention to security.

My advice is that you calm down, install and run one well-known security suite, one firewall (I never use anything except the Windows firewall), and pay careful attention to how you use your credit card. Don't visit any sites of a dubious nature (not that I'm suggesting you've done that), and don't let your card leave your sight in a petrol station or restaurant, or indeed in any retail outlet. Card fraud happens - it's happened to me - but considering the millions of card transaction that take place every hour of every day it's not as common as some people would have you believe. Nor are hacking attacks, or key-loggers.

Big L 266 19:23 24 Nov 09

Thank you for the many points you have all raised and many suggestions that you've made. I've removed all the so-called security software and now only have the following:-

1.CCleaner. 2.Paretologic Privacy. 3.McAfee Security All-In-One and 4.Secunia. All the rest,including Identity Patrol,I have now removed. I guess there is such a thing as overkill and agree with the idea of a conflict of interests in the various security stuff.

My credit card details were definitely stolen online. I never use my card as I have disabilities and hardly go out and don't drive.I am very wary of internet ordering and have only recently downloaded my banks 'Rapport' security which serves to double-up for everything else I pay online for.

Lets hope by removing them all actually pays dividends.

Thank you all for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5