Ancestry website

Spark6 14:23 22 Apr 08

I have been trying to access the Ancestry website for the last couple of days without success. Is the problem at my end or is the site down?

Noels 14:46 22 Apr 08

No problem click here
Regards
Noels

Spark6 15:06 22 Apr 08

Unfortunately your link brings up the same notification:

"! The page cannot be displayed.

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable."

Thanks for your response, I'm wondering what I have to do now. This site, and many others, are trouble free.

anchor 15:22 22 Apr 08

Working fine here too.

Noels 15:25 22 Apr 08

Interesting for several weeks I have had a similar problem with Francis Frith's Poast Card site. None of their photos would open with IE7. No problem with any other site in the world.
In desperation I downloaded the browser OPERA which is free. I could immediately open Friths card site.Give it ago. click here

Regards
Noels

Spark6 15:35 22 Apr 08

Interesting. I have IE6 on this computer and I get the page unavailable every time now with Ancestry.

I have IE7 on my laptop but still connected through the same wireless router and I managed to access the Ancestry site with it. However, when I tried to log-on I get the same unavailable message. There's something weird going on. I'll try Opera later and let you know how I get on.

Noels 15:49 22 Apr 08

I was,and am still as puzzeled as you with my problem. I turned off my AV and firewall and did everything I could think of. I could get the site to open but not the pictures to open.
The only difference between IE7 and OPERA is that IE7 uses Google as a search engine whereas Opera uses Yahoo. I have not experimented between the two but it could be that is where the problem lies?
Regards
Noels

Spark6 16:14 22 Apr 08

I've tried Opera, accessed Ancestry first time but received the 'page unavailable' blurb again when I attempted to log on.

Do we have any Ancestry subscribers who are currently able to use their site? Is it possible to contact Ancestry by phone to get their opinion/advice on this problem?

Gringo2005 16:22 22 Apr 08

Just logged in to check it for you and it works fine from here

I am on IE7 and running XP from my laptop

Sounds like a security acces problem

Maybe ancestry have updated their site and has caused security problems for IE6, so would suggest asking them or upgrade to IE7

Spark6 16:43 22 Apr 08

Many thanks, I'll try again this evening. If it is a security/access problem it seems strange that it is the only one of many internet sites that I'm having a problem with. I have already tried with IE7 on my laptop but was unable to log-in.

Noels 17:08 22 Apr 08

I'm an Ancestry subscriber but can't see any telephone numbers you can use to talk to a real live person! There is a "Contact Us" but this seems to be only a simple question and answer site.
I'll keep looking.
Regards
Noels

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…