AMD versus Pentium

Rosa33 15:37 21 Oct 03

I am trying to choose a new pc for home use, but have been warned off AMD Athlon processors by a friend, as they may have "hardware compatibility issues", i.e. they are not guaranteed to work with my shiny new digital camcorder. As downloading/editing digital video and making DVDs is one of the main things I want to do, this has worried me. However, the Pentium IV processors don't seem to be as good value.

After doing a bit of research I can find nothing to suggest that this compatibility issue has any founding - is my friend being over-paranoid?

Secondly, the other main use for my new PC will be gaming - is this at odds with my DVD requirements? Most site seem to sell video editing OR gaming PCs i.e. not systems that will do both.

I think I have "product fatigue" after viewing so many sites and systems and feel confused as to what I need - any advice would be gratefully received.

DieSse 15:58 21 Oct 03

Your friend is wrong, not paranoid - there should be no compatability issues - except perhaps with the new 64bit processor, which I would stay away from for now, because of software issues.

Howeever personally I have greater faith in Pentium processors and the long term viability of Intel as a company, anyway. It's an arguable case either way, and some would say it doesn't matter what you choose - but of course you do have to choose, and that won't help.

The P4 2.8GHz C version with the 800Mb system bus, and Dual channel memory, is the "best buy" without going for the more expensive "top of the range" processors from either company - IMHO. In many tests it shows up as faster than more expensive Athlons.

If you don't want to go to this level, then you may find Athlons somewhat cheaper - but it won't be by much either way.

However you also need to concentrate more on video/graphics facilities and hard disk storage for what you want to do.

Djohn 18:06 21 Oct 03

Agree with DieSse, only comment I would like to add is that when you ask the question regarding Gaming PC's, look to the FAQ page of many websites that offer such PC's and their response is that a good gaming PC is built to handle fast moving graphics, Surround sound and in "General", over specified for normal Office/Home use.

This does not mean, don't buy if you are not into gaming, more a way of saying you can tailor your requirements to a system that is not quite as expensive.

When someone wants a PC mainly for gaming, they tend to want the latest/fastest/biggest, and so on. Therefore a PC offered as a gaming machine tends to be more expensive. But this is a generalisation and can differ from each supplier.

As DieSse says there are no problems with the AMD range of CPU's and I use one myself, as many other people do. Each CPU has advantages/disadvantages, but these are so small that you need not worry about them. Good luck in your choice, enjoy your new PC. j.

mahesh4g 09:25 23 Oct 03

Please find the following link, which advises you, with some background and current history: click here

At the time I bought a Intel processor PII 450MHz it cost £450, processor prices have come down has of AMD K7 and now K8 processor will competitive well again. By the way hardware and software is more advanced now, then 5 for 6 years when the first 32-bit came out there was a problem with transition. 64bit has been around for servers for a few years now. With the desktop 64bit you can use the current 32bit software which runs faster than the P4.

The below quoted from the website above:

AMD's competition with Intel has resulted in lower prices and faster processors. Competition in the market is a good thing, and right now AMD is the only other alternative to Intel. Support this healthy competition by seriously considering AMD over Intel in your next purchase.

Rosa33 11:42 23 Oct 03

...for all your responses, my mind has been put at rest regarding the processor dilemma. I had a gut feeling that AMDs were sound (why else would they be so profligate?), its good to have confirmation.

Regarding the PC - I have done a LOT more research now, but it really feels like "the more I know, the less I know". I have narrowed my search to 2 brands at least, but will start a new thread to get a little more advice before I buy.

Thanks again,

Rosa33 :o)

mahesh4k 14:29 23 Oct 03

If you want find more about opinions from other forums try this one
CPU - Clock Frequency Is Not Everything:
click here

The Imperial Empire of Intel:
click here

Break Monopoly, Choose AMD:
click here

David and Goliath:
click here

Some good advice from pcworld website here:
click here

kingkenny 18:26 24 Oct 03

Would always go for AMD myself.

Find Intel a bit overpriced and it has been shown on numerous occasions the AMD chips outperform Intel comparables.

jimv7 18:58 24 Oct 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…