AMD or Intel?

Thatslife 14:01 29 Dec 04

I'm confused over the difference in the clock speeds of AMD and Intels pros.

I'm looking at AMD 64 3400 which has a clock speed of 2.2Ghz.

How can this be faster than a P4 3Ghz???

Can anyone shed some light on this for me??

Bleep 14:49 29 Dec 04

AMD's do more work per clock cycle, which means they can perform as well as P4's at lower frequencies. There is much more to performance than MHz/GHz, however it seems intel effective marketing over the last 10years has clearly worked.

(Hence why the two companies are no-longer naming there chips by clock speed ' Intel 350 ' is an example of the new naming system)

As for am AMD64 the chip archticture, is improved over AMD XP chip's and generally is considered to be much more productive in number crunching and games.

This is a Masive question with many different view points, I suggest a Google search AMD64 vs P4 to answer your question more fully.

Bleep 14:53 29 Dec 04
  Mr Mistoffelees 16:29 29 Dec 04

Once again the old chestnut!

accord 17:41 29 Dec 04

Theres been a couple of reviews in the Custompc click here and Computer Shopper click here this month regarding AMD and Intel.

From what I have read, it all boils down to what you are going to be doing with your pc. ie video editing, games, picture editing etc etc. if you are doing video then go for Intel, if you are doing Imaging then go for AMD. Of course, 1GB of ram will help as well.

Results:
Custom pc: Value for money and bang per buck: Athlon 64 3000
Comp Shopper: Intel P4 550 and Athlon 64 3000

CurlyWhirly 18:02 29 Dec 04

Once again the old chestnut!

Eh?

bfoc 18:54 29 Dec 04

For a user is how long it takes a chip to carry out a set number of instructions. The speed of the chip is one factor, but only one. Other factors include how fast instructions are passed into and out of the chip and how efficiently the instructions are carried out.

So the only way speed alone can be used is if the same design of chip but at different speeds is placed in an identical system. So my laptop with a Pentium M 1.7 (GHz) and 1 gig of Ram, performs, in practice, faster than my desktop with an Athlon 2400 (actually running at 2 GHz) paired with 512Mb of Ram.

In practice I am sure that each chip will perform better at certain tasks than others and that may make a difference for some people, also if someone believes they will be able to make use of the 64 bit structure of the Athlon chip in the future than they might well feel that is important.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:41 29 Dec 04

for the vast majority of users there will be no discernible difference. Type 'amd or intel' into the search box here and you will find reams of arguments. Personally I would go for the cheapest and use the money saved to buy an external HD rather than worry about differences that mere mortals have no chance of noticing.

G

Totally-braindead 19:54 30 Dec 04

A good point from Gandalf once again, I've got a AMD 2500+ now I know this runs at something like 1800mhz not 2500mhz but I also know that it will run any program that requires a 2500 the same as an Intel 2.5 would. The difference in actual speed matters not one iota to me and the only reason I've got an AMD chip rather than an Intel one is its cheaper, if you put 2 identical specifications together side by side one with an Intel 2.5 and one with a AMD 2500 there will be very little if any difference. Its all to do with the way the different chips work, can't say I understand it but then I don't have to and I've probably built about 30 PCs now. Do as Gandalf suggests, go for the cheapest which will probably be AMD and spend the money on another upgrade or have a night out at the pub.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…