AMD - Losing out to Intel?

Chris-347369 12:16 12 Jan 07

I have a friend who is building a gaming PC. I was always under the impression that for gaming AMD was the much better processor.

However he's been told that with the new dual core processors you'll get better performance from a Core 2 Duo than an AMD for your money.

Since everyone here's very opinionated I thought I would see whether you agree or disagree!

keef66 14:17 12 Jan 07

No doubt about it, Intel's Core 2 Duo processors represent the best in terms of bang per buck at the moment, and are extremely overclockable in the right motherboard.

That's what I'd be buying if I was building a gaming pc tomorrow.

Have a look at Tom's Hardware under cpu's

click here

vinnyT 14:35 12 Jan 07

Up until the release of the core 2 duo chips, I had only built amd rigs for friends/family, going on the bang/buck scale.

Now, it's a no-brainer, core 2 duo chips have the advantage in power, speed, and they're not too expensive.

If I was upgrading my pc, it would have to be with an amd, as the cost of a new 775 mobo, new ddr2 ram, etc, would not be worth it. But, if I was building myself a new pc, then core2duo.

archir123 18:15 12 Jan 07

speaking as an avid gamer and AMD user for many years im now running a core duo E6600 and ive got it clocked at a cats whisker under 3 gig! its a lovely cpu.

in benchmarks it runs head to head with the amd 5000+ even beating it at higher resolutions and the 5000+ is 2.6 gig vs the 6600 standard 2.4

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…