AMD to aquire ATI !

Giggle n' Bits 18:42 16 Aug 06

Can someone confirm I have heard this correctly, is it really true ?

Wonder it Intel will take over Nvidia then.

Also heard recently Seagate have took over Maxtor.

GaT7 18:46 16 Aug 06

Yes, this was in the news several weeks ago. G

phoenix198 18:50 16 Aug 06

And yes, Seagate did acquire Maxtor.

Can't help but feel that neither acquisition will be of long term benefit to the consumer.

GaT7 18:56 16 Aug 06

I doubt Intel will acquire nVidia, but it may have to give up it's SLI technology to Intel, if this click here is anything to go by. G

Mr Mistoffelees 19:08 16 Aug 06
  Mr Mistoffelees 19:12 16 Aug 06

I am wondering if, in the medium to long term, this is going to cause problems for those of us who choose to use AMD CPUs and nVidia graphics cards?

Stuartli 21:07 16 Aug 06

AMD is also, it seems, going to drop the ATi brand name...

DieSse 23:57 16 Aug 06

Much informed comment (google for articles) says that this is a strategic move to bring on board designers with experience in graphics, and short timescale design work.

As and when multicore processors become prevalent (and I'm talking 8, 16, 32 core levels) - then graphics will likely be just another processor function, provided by one or more of the multi-cores.

An amalgamation of such design facilities is therefore in the long-term interests of a processor manufacturer.

Giggle n' Bits 00:41 17 Aug 06

Hope the Driver programmers don't follow suit for any of the ATI products and change design totally.

I feel over the next year other compainies merging maybe Dell with intel would be more viable as they don't like AMD builds things like this.

Wonder if there will ever be a day when Intel & AMD actually go through a year without a lawsuit ?

Stuartli 10:08 17 Aug 06

>>maybe Dell with intel would be more viable as they don't like AMD >>

That's more to do with Dell's massive buying power and Intel's very keen prices as a result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…