Amd 64 3700+ - Overclocking Stablility!!!

skaria 21:58 05 Dec 05

Hello Everyone,

I have an AMD 64bit 3700+ San Diego. It has been overclocked from 2.2Ghz - 2.7Ghz. The HT Multiplier is at 4x and the multipier the same. I have just increased the fsb. The voltage is at stock. The idle temp is 33*c.

The problem I have is to do woith stability. When using prime 95 and doing a SMALL FFT TORTURE TEST and "memtest" together, they both work without any problems for over 10 hours - and more.

THE PROBLEM>>>Yet when I run just prime95 on small fft's without "memtest" an error comes up after 10 - 30 minutes. It says a fatal error, and Rounding Test 0.5, expected less than 0.4.

Is theer a reason why this only happens when i am not running memtest?

Does this mean the overclock is not stable - i have no problems using the PC at the moment?

Is tehre a way of solving this or is it first time builders and overclockers paranoia.

Thanks in Advance

PaulB2005 22:05 05 Dec 05

Overclocking is not a exact science. You are exceeding the manufacturers advised speed.

If you are experiencing instability that should be your first sign to back off a bit.

skaria 22:16 05 Dec 05

Thanks fdor the comment.

I am personally not experienceing instability, but the prime95 test only shows a source of error when conducted with memtest. Is tehre a reason for this.

Thanks

PaulB2005 22:29 05 Dec 05

You've pretty much answered your own question in your initial post.

The only reason i can think is you are stressing the processor beyond it's capabilities.

Not sure what else anyone one can say other than that....

SG Atlantis® 07:45 06 Dec 05

If you damage the processor do you think it would be worth it to over-clock?

PaulB2005 08:03 06 Dec 05

As far as i know the general consensus is not to exceed 10% unless you are liquid cooling. This represents an overclock of 22%....

nar 09:51 06 Dec 05

for over clocking advice i would say take your question to click here as they have more people geared to this question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…