Amazon service

100andthirty 19:11 30 Aug 08

for the first time i had an item from Amazon that failed. Last Saturday evening I reported that the remote control receiver of Guitar Hero 3 (PS2 game) had failed. I was purchased in December 2007.

On Sunday morning I found an Email apologising for the problem and going on to say that they can't just replace the failed part, so they would ship a whole new game. It was a Bank Holiday on Monday, the item was despatched on Tuesday and arrived on Wednesday.

The measure of good customer service is usually how they deal with something that's gone wrong; Amazon were excellent.

Stuartli 20:33 30 Aug 08

Amazon has just refunded a sum of less than £10 to my bank account three days after the e-mail advising it was being credited to me arrived.

Top notch company, especially as this was a purchase from a third party seller (I had ordered the wrong part in error and the seller was happy to take it back).

MAT ALAN 20:58 30 Aug 08

Amazon are without a doubt one of the best online retailers..
just bought a Sharkoon SILENT EAGLE 1000 from a retailer in Germany £6.99 delivered. Turned up exactly when it said it would, got two emails explaining progress of order. Don't come much better....

If anybody out there is after silent case fans, the full range of Sharkoon are quite superb....

ened 05:48 31 Aug 08

Stories like these show why Amazin are successful and that you can shop with confidence with them.

The trouble with this policy is that some unscrupulous people will abuse it.

I hope they remain such a small minority that Amazon aren't forced into a more ruthless system.

Stuartli 11:22 31 Aug 08

I'll go into my piece about Amazon in more depth as it's a tale of two exceptional levels of customer service.

The other half's mobile phone battery recently gave up the ghost, so I tried to get one locally without success.

A hunt on Google turned up a source via Amazon's third party sellers, so I ordered one on-line from a company called ShopBlue.

The cost of the battery was under £8 and delivery just 99p - it arrived from Hong Kong just over a week later and was exactly what I ordered.

However, unfortunately I'd ordered the wrong battery due to either misreading the tiny model number in the phone or mistyping (more likely the former).

I contacted the UK outlet by e-mail, pointing out it had been my mistake and I would like to order the correct battery; I also queried if they would take back the one already delivered and credit me, less the delivery charge?

Within an hour an e-mail arrived saying both were "No problem" and suggesting, to save time, to order the replacement battery immediately via the website and that I would be refunded for the original once it had been received at the UK returns base.

Three days later the correct battery arrived on the doorstep (posted in the UK) and a couple of days later came the e-mail from Amazon stating I would be receiving the refund; this was quickly credited to my bank account.

The level of customer service for such a low cost item I feel is exceptional from both parties and I warmly thanked ShopBlue's customer contact.

You can find its website at:

click here

To my amazement, the 99p delivery charge applies no matter how many items are ordered, apart from car parts (which is quite understandable). See:

click here

spuds 13:02 31 Aug 08

I have used Amazon virtually on a weekly basis, especially their Market Place for CD's and Dvd's. Of the possible hundred or more purchases, I have only had two slight problems of non-supply. In both cases the matter was soon resolved to my satisfaction.

On another occasion, the seller sent the wrong item, this was resolved by the seller sending the correct item, telling me to keep the other item and enclosing a cheque for the original payment with apologies. You cannot get any better than that.

interzone55 08:49 01 Sep 08

I bought a second hand book from one of their re-sellers, it was advertised at 1p (yes one new penny) plus £2.99 postage.
My wife has been looking for this book for months, so I ordered it, but didn't hold much hope of it arriving. To my amazement it arrived within a couple of days, and it was in quite remarkable condition considering it's age (a paperback from 1973).

yet another example of good service from Amazon and it's re-sellers.

spuds 10:44 01 Sep 08

Most if not all of the CD's I order are £0.01+£1.24 p/p.=£1.25. Most are brand new sealed surplus stock of good well known various music entertainer recordings. They usually arrive within 3 days from ordering, with usual follow-up emails.

Into that price, I sometimes obtain boxed sets of perhaps 4 CD's. How some of these Market Place sellers survive, can be a little concerning ;o)

jakimo 11:46 06 Sep 08

I bought some software from Amazon.com as the uk outlet didn't carry the item, 10 days after receiving my order and without explanation I received an email from Amazon.com advising that they had deposited £4.76 into my bank account,still don't know why,but you cant fail to recommend Amazon for their prices\range of goods\speed of delivery\general efficiency and now their honesty

sunshine65 00:16 07 Sep 08

I too cannot fault them, I ordered a printer, it did not work, they collected it and refunded my money all in less than a week. Perhaps we should have a vote on which is the best online company to buy from, my vote goes to Amazon !!!.

100andthirty 08:24 07 Sep 08

I made the comment that started this off. Feedback is 100% positive (now where have I heard that before?). Probably time to colose this thread!

As I type this, it's right next to yet another complaint about another on-line retailer based in France that's owned by a UK based electrical retail giant, where customers can't even get in touch to make a complaint, let alone get it resolved.

So, bravo Amazon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5