Amazon and returns

Carnage 18:10 02 Dec 05

I bought an Epson DX3800 off Amazon's website a few weeks back. When looking at the specifications on the website they didn't explicitly say that it was for Windows only (as it specifies on the box) and therefore i assumed it would be compatible with Mac OS X. I ordered first class - but it took them several weeks to send it me (although they did refund the postage) - but when i tried to install it i found that it was incompatible.

Would Amazon accept the product back, OPENED but unused, and give me a refund on the basis that it is incompatible with my OS and they did not expressly state this in their specification.

Totally-braindead 18:21 02 Dec 05

I would ask them, if you explain the situation and as long as the cartridges weren't installed I don't see why not.

ade.h 18:59 02 Dec 05

As it's opened, tell them that you did not see the "for Windows only" statement on the box until it was out of the packaging. Otherwise, they might question why it has been opened.

spuds 23:59 02 Dec 05

The rule of the game, is to check on arrival any purchase made by mail order or on-line etc. This would protect you two ways, one in case the item is damaged and extra protection under the Consumer Protection [Distance Selling] Regulations 2000.Amazon is usually a rather flexible company, who also advertises 'used' items for resale. Give them a call and see what they say, but the 'few weeks back' could be the deciding factor, and you may need to consider that you will have to dispose of the item yourself.

Stuartli 00:40 03 Dec 05

On the rare occasions I have had to use Amazon's returns procedure it has been straightforward and without any quibbles.

A classic instance was when a 5.1 Logitech speaker system developed a fault after 18 months' use (two year warranty).

Amazon not only immediately sent an RMA but swiftly refunded the £249.99 purchase price and the carriage cost of returning the speakers to its Milton Keynes depot.

Incidentally, the ParcelForce driver who collected the speakers informed me that his company alone had four deliveries a day to the MK depot - and that's just one courier....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…