Amazon Market Place

isca2 13:32 09 Dec 08

Did you all see Watchdog last night when Market Place got slated and quite right too. I think Amazon should ditch this option. I have been caught out twice by dodgy sellers. I also dislike having to pay postage foe each item. For instance 1 Camera SD card, say postage £2. If you order 3, you are charged £6 postage yet the weight is still very light. I will not use Market Place any more, only items direct from Amazon.

The Brigadier 13:57 09 Dec 08

It's only going to cause damage to the Amazon brand image by using this loop hole for someone to sell illegal stuff or rip people off.

wee eddie 14:17 09 Dec 08

Postage ~ Includes packaging + the time taken to pack it + a trip to the Post Office. Not just the price of a stamp!

It behoves the Buyer to read the Invoice, or T&Cs before Clicking the "Buy" Button.

isca2 15:30 09 Dec 08

I know all of that and am aware but if I buy three of the same items from Amazon, they do not multiply the postage & packing charge by 3 or whatever.

curofone 15:53 09 Dec 08

Nothing wrong with the amazon market place just wrote something a bit longer on it in another post click here so not going to rehash the same stuff in this post but persoanlly i think that watchdog programme was very bias and was scaremongering people that do not know any better.

Yeah things like the postage in the market place can be annoying but if the postage makes a product too costly then you simply do not buy it from them and you go somewhere else

spuds 16:58 09 Dec 08

Its a good thing that people can have different opinions, because my regular experiences of the Amazon Market Place and the seller's could not be any better.

On a weekly average, I increase my cd or dvd collection by four/six, most if not all via the Market Place. And I can truly say that of the very many purchases over the years, I have only had two problems, which were both resolved very rapidly to my complete satisfaction.

Where else can you purchase a new and sealed cd for one penny plus an handling postage charge of £1.24, which is for a 66/72p stamp, jiffy bag and a persons time. Delivery is usually within 1 to 4 days after checkout procedure, with acknowledgement emails.

I would also point out that have purchased books and a router with the same pleasing results.

And as for Watchdog, I stopped watching that years ago, in the days of Anne Robinson, when the programme was really worth watching.

isca2 17:20 09 Dec 08

Don't get me wrong. I think Amazon is very good and will always use them but not some of the suppliers in the market place.

curofone 17:34 09 Dec 08

Some suppliers in the amazon market place are not honest i agree but then again some sellers on ebay or anyother auction website are not, there a plenty of dishonest sellers all over the internet, there are dishonest sellers on plays market place and there are plenty of dishonest sellers on the high street. Like i said before the watchdog programme was bias and scaremongering. If watchdog is going to pull amazon up on it then they also need to highlight the fact that it is not just amazon.

Same rules applying to buying stuff on amazon market place as they do anywhere else in world on or offline, people just need some common sense, come what was the guy on watchdog really expecting to get a 40" sony hd tv for £290? and when the email told him to use a different website for payment did he not think that was a bit strange. Come on if your in a department store and a member of staff said oh you can't pay at the till for that better than half price tv but you can pay my colleague over there that has the money belt and a calculator you would not do it and this was the basically the online equivalent to what happened to one person on watchdog.

GaT7 17:57 09 Dec 08

"I also dislike having to pay postage foe each item. For instance 1 Camera SD card, say postage £2. If you order 3, you are charged £6 postage yet the weight is still very light."

Me, & surely everyone else must feel 'cheated' too. But one must surely & always judge this by TOTAL amount paid....

Say, everywhere else, 3x SD cards cost £12 delivered.

An Amazon MP seller charges £1.50 + £2 postage each for exactly the same make + model. That's £10.50 delivered for 3x SD, or £1.50 CHEAPER overall. One can't reasonably expect them to sell 3x SD cards for £6.50 delivered (£1.50 x3 + £2).

As for most shopping, everyone has a choice as to where to buy from & prices willing to be paid. If one's not happy with the prices &/or delivery charges at one site/seller, one can simply shop at another. That's what I do.

Anyway, having been stung a few times, these are the precautions I take at the Amazon MP:
- Contacting seller before buying: enquiring about the item's availability, condition (if not new), genuineness, box contents (if applicable), location shipped from, etc. If I get no / dodgy / unsatisfactory reply, the seller does not get my custom
- Staying away from memory-based (incl SD cards) & other known possibly 'fake' items
- Checking out the seller's past feedback. I've purchased from one zero-feedback seller as the replies were good
- Being patient: willing to let a 'bargain' pass me by in the time it takes the seller to get back.

A little research, communication & not a lot of common sense, can go a long way in keeping things safe in the Amazon MP :-), G

Zeppelyn 19:29 09 Dec 08

Do you go into M&S to buy from Primark? No and that is the whole thing with market place. I go to Amazon to buy from Amazon not anyone else and it doesnt seem possible to display Amazon only items.

curofone 19:53 09 Dec 08

qupte - "Do you go into M&S to buy from Primark? No and that is the whole thing with market place. I go to Amazon to buy from Amazon not anyone else and it doesnt seem possible to display Amazon only items."

No but you might go to debenhams and buy from one of the many consessions that are in there stores from all aracdia brands to the early learning centre so it does not just happen online it does happen on the high street to. Renting out your shop space to other brands is an easy way to make extra money so do not expect amazon to shop doing it anytime soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced