amazing tiscali facts

harps1h 19:49 14 Jun 07

i have had problems with tiscali, or rather their lack of CS and these have been documented here. this however takes the biscuit!

i have been having ridiculously slow connection speeds ranging from a might 0.10mb/s to a mind blowing 0.40mb/s on an 8mb connection. and before all of you yell i know this is an unrealistic figure, but i am only 800/900 yards away from the exchange and until about 5 weeks ago i have getting between 5.5mb to 7.0mb. i have sent a number of queries through their mail system and get back generic answers spammed out to every one. when i threatened to ask for my MAC i got a mail on monday saying i would get a call back.

this came yesterday (wednesday) and during the conversation i was told tha tiscali was experiencing a high volume on their ip stream customers but their data stream was unaffected. she then toild me that BT won't be able to give any more bandwidth, thus the need to move customers over to data stream.

unfortunately my exchange does not have a circuit in for that and that she could not give me a definitive timescale as to when i would get the speed for which i have been paying. so i guess it is time to get my MAC but they don't make it easy. the information is tucked away in the broom cupboard and it is strictly office hours only.

so i will have to wait until i am off next wednesday but i will make that phone call as i am fed up to the back teth with them.

this is only a personal view, but with the problems they are experiencing i would avoid this company at all costs.

Jackcoms 20:29 14 Jun 07

"i would avoid this company at all costs."

You may wish to read the Forum rules click here and scroll down to "Libellous or defamatory comment".

harps1h 20:37 14 Jun 07

i don't need a lecture on forum rules! i made it plain that this is a personal opinion on the subject, based on the level of service i am receiving and on the level of the companys customer service. they stated the facts to me in an amazing phone call with a polite lady from one of their indian call centres. they simply don't have the capacity to offer ip stream at the advertised rates. she told me exactly that!

Totally-braindead 21:28 14 Jun 07

I left them a bit over a week ago. The final straw for me was being knocked off for 2 days with them insisting that my PC was at fault and that I had to reinstall windows.
Eventually they phoned back after I insisted they check their end, after about 2 hours of calls, and they asked me to try my broadband now.

I did and it worked perfectly.

Now if they had left it at that I might have stayed but it was the next bit that decided me.

The operator said "we fixed your computer"

I said "what do you mean?"

reply "the fault was on your computer and we fixed it from here"

I lost it at that. " How did you manage that, the PCs not even switched on and wouldn't connect to the internet so how did you fix it?"

reply " there was a fault on your computer, not on our end but on your computer and we repaired it"

I repeated and added a bit "how did you do that when the computer was switched off and wouldn't connect to the internet, black magic perhaps".

It went downhill from there. Good riddance Tiscali. What a load of complete rubbish they told me. And if I knew nothing about PCs and had to take it to a dealer to get windows reinstalled it would have cost up to £100 and still wouldn't have worked. Pathetic service.

Input Overload 22:10 14 Jun 07

Totally-braindead, it's when I read posts like your last one I don't mind paying a bit more for Zen. Who did you move too?

Totally-braindead 22:49 14 Jun 07

I'm on a 30 day trial of Plus Net.
First week, couple of niggles but its a reasonable speed and am pretty happy so far. At least I can understand the call centre as its UK based and so far they haven't come out with any lies.
Only niggle I have is it takes them a while to answer the phone but once through they have been very good so far.
Early days though.

harps1h 23:01 14 Jun 07

i am thinking of going to pipex. any thoughts?

Totally-braindead 23:10 14 Jun 07

harps1h I considered them as well and Eclipse. For me it came down to price. I was willing to pay £14.99 a month and just had to look and see what they were all offering.
I looked here click here and here click here second site was useful as they have clear ratings on customer service, connections etc.

At the moment I am happy but its been only 6 days so far.

Stuartli 23:14 14 Jun 07

The number to ring is 0845 077 4488 and it's from Monday to Friday (9am to 6pm) as you may well already be aware.

I twice obtained a MAC from Tiscali last year (I didn't use it the first time) and received it within 15 minutes by e-mail on both occasions; the e-mails were doubled up, presumably to ensure that they were received.

Input Overload 23:52 14 Jun 07

Totally-braindead, Ok, thanks.

ened 16:58 15 Jun 07

even though I have had a torrid time with them. Eventually they sorted my speed issues out and gave me some credit.

However I did have to keep at them to achieve this and it did taske over nine months.

I have just discovered that they attach advertisements to the bottom of outgoing emails and I am not too happy about this.

Also I have been receiving spam which has one thing in common: they all say they obtained my details from Tiscali.

The latest is from someone who says they can prove they had my agreement. That was a week ago and they have yet to come up with this evidence.
This is hardly surprising because, unless they fake it, there won't be any.

The long and short of it is that I do not like chopping and changing but I can no longer put up with all these failings on top of the issue that if you have to talk to anybody they are on an 0870 no. and you might has well throw the cost of the call and your time in the nearest lake.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…