Am getting 2MB ADSL!!!!

ajm 00:29 06 Aug 03

Having been with Pipex 512kbs ADSL, i have signed up with Bulldog ADSL Primetime 2000 2MB for £24.99+vat.This is a onetime offer until 31st August.

Having been with Pipex for about 14 months now ( 7 of them being free due to their genrous referral scheme), I saw the Bulldog offer on The Register. More info from click here

Hopefully by the time i come back from my hols in 1st week September, it should be up and running.

Is there anyone on this forum that has or is planning to get this service and whether they are happy with it and also with Bulldog

tbh72 07:04 06 Aug 03

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the service.... I have considered it myself, but... There alway's seem's to be a but, I have been with freeserve ADSL for 15 month's and cannot fault the service I have received. Reading the small print supplied by bulldog made me realise I would be without an internet connection for upto 2 week's whilst the transition takes place.

That is too large a risk to take not knowing the quality of service I would be getting compared to my current freeserve.

I look forward to your comments when your up & running!!! Enjoy your holiday

ajm 09:53 06 Aug 03

when i saw that there was a downtime of upto 21 days from ending of one ISP to the begining of the 2nd one.

I probably would not have moved to Bulldog if I had not been going on holiday, but due to the timing.....

I shall keep you updated when I come back and also give you my views on how the Bulldog service is.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:11 06 Aug 03

The service is only 2Mb between 1800 and 0800hrs and there is a connection fee of £49.99+VAT..... and after a year it goes up to £68.14/month.....and you have to buy a modem. Not really worth the hassle.

G

-pops- 18:18 06 Aug 03

An internet connection is a two way process and whatever high speed you may have for it, if the guy on the other end is still on a 28K dial up, all of your speed advantage is lost.

I recall when I first went on 500K broadband that there were numerous sites who just couldn't approach the speed so all my high speed connection was wasted in those cases. It is much better now but you will no doubt have similar problems whilst the majority of websites catch up with technology.

barrie_g 18:28 06 Aug 03

I would have to agree with -pops-, as with so many things computer related, it will only be as fast as the slowest link in the chain, so you may not find yourself that much better off, but good luck and I hope that it's all you hope for.

powerless 21:35 06 Aug 03

£24.99

Who cares about surfing speeds won't improve (maye a little) at that price ya laughing?

It's peak time hmmm i could live with that.

TOPCAT® 22:18 06 Aug 03

Am quite happy with their speed, support and standard of service provided.

However, here's three happy converts expressing their satisfaction with Bulldog. TC.

click here

Forum Editor 00:37 07 Aug 03

when he refers to "numerous sites who just couldn't approach the speed". Websites don't have a 'speed' - they are on web servers which can serve a page as quickly as you can download it. The downstream rate of your connection is what counts, and the faster this is the faster you'll load the page - it's got nothing to do with the site, except in cases where badly designed sites have large image files for instance - they'll take longer to download on any connection. There's no technology for websites to catch up with.

That said, I would personally be a little wary of signing for a service that only offers full speed at night. A possible downtime of up to twenty one days for the changeover is ridiculously long, and would again sound a tiny warning bell for me.

As for the 'happy converts' featured in TOPCAT®'s link..............I have read them very carefully, and make no comment. I know nothing about Bulldog, and wish to make it quite clear that I have no experience of their service. I've heard nothing by way of adverse comment from users of the service either.

I hope your connection is all that you expect it to be, and I'll look forward to hearing your views a little later on.

ajm 01:05 07 Aug 03

Many thanks for all your comments.

I actually heard about Bulldog from a few colleagues at work who have been with them for quite a while and had no problems with their service.

FE, regarding my comments of possible downtime of 21 days, this was taken as refernece from click here.

i received an email from Bulldog today which is as follows:

"You have passed the initial acceptance line quality checks for your service. Our records indicate that you have a current ADSL supplier. Before we are able to proceed with your Bulldog order, the ADSL service will need to be terminated. Before terminating your existing service, we advise you to check the contractual requirements you may have with your service provider.Be very specific - tell them you are taking your service to Bulldog and you need the 'cease' to be sent to BT Wholesale immediately. Some SP's do not do this (this could include BT Openworld). They hope you will change your mind, therefore they suspend your service and delay the cease to BT Wholesale. We cannot provide service until this cease has been processed, there can not be two adsl providers on the same line. Please inform us of the termination date you agree with your supplier by email. It would help us if you could give us the two dates ie when your service is terminated and when they anticipate the 'cease' at the BT exchange to be completed. Please tell us the exact dates from your current supplier, if you
give us an earlier date in an attempt to 'speed' up the connection, the order will fail when we attempt any switch work.We will submit your order 1-2 days after the cease has been actioned by BT wholesale (this may not be the same date that you loose service, but when BT do the exchange work - this timing is in the hands of your current provider and not Bulldog).Your go live date will be 5-7 working days after the exchange work is done and BT accept our order.We will send you a confirmed date together with your user name and password when Bulldog will provide service by Email 3-5 days prior to your go live date."

Pipex have given me the cease date of 22/08/03. Bulldog have been advised of this cease date. All that remains is when I come back 1st week of September, all is hoping to be OK.

Will keep you folks updated.

-pops- 07:35 07 Aug 03

OK, I may have the terminology wrong but it remains true that when I moved to Broadband, several sites were no quicker in downloading than they were on my old 56K. Two in particular were the US Patent Office and the RIFM Database. I contacted RIFM and I was told that they would be updating their system to accommodate the "new high speed systems" in the near future. This was some time ago and it is not now a problem on any of the sites I visit but I can easily imagine a parallel situation happening with these very high speed systems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…