Alternative to Medion P6625?

Flynnstones 17:06 31 Aug 10

Hi there. I am looking to buy a reasonably priced laptop to take to university with me. I have found the Medion P6625 ( click here ). Which fits both my price range, £600 maximum, and the specifications I am looking for, i5 processor, 4g ram, 1024mb graphics card, 500g hdd etc.
The only problem is that I am unsure of the make, not having come across them before, and am not a fan of the ugly design.
Can anyone recommend me a similarly priced and specced laptop with reasonable design?

wee eddie 17:30 31 Aug 10

Have a good reputation for Value for money and not a lot of complaints here.

However, if anything goes wrong, maintenance is in Germany, so may take a little longer.

The lack of complaints suggests that it is a reliable brand, basically to the unadventurous side of cutting edge, but good value with it.

Armchair 17:43 31 Aug 10

Aldi, Argos, and Tesco all sell Medion PCs. I've been using a Medion desktop PC for the last seven years, and in retrospect it was a worthwhile purchase.

That laptop looks like rather good value for money given it's spec. Bear in mind that the Radeon 5165, while a lot better than any of the Intel GPUs, is still only on a par with a desktop HD 5550 (or a 9500 GT, if you want a nVidia comparison).

canarieslover 20:56 31 Aug 10

As already mentioned, any warranty work and it gets returned to Germany. My desktop took five weeks and came back with hard disk returned to ex-factory condition so make sure that you save any important files onto an external drive, or risk losing them if it does need repair.

Flynnstones 12:07 01 Sep 10

Ok thanks for clearing that up about the company. It seems to me that there aren't many other laptops with that kind of specs for that price. Any recommendations on a laptop?

jakimo 18:24 03 Sep 10

Medion repair service was very good,that is until a policy change meant repairs were sent to Germany,mine was away several weeks,and they disputed the their UK 3 year warranty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…