To all you M$ bashers out there......

Bill gates may be the richest man in the world and many on this forum have stated, often, that they dont see why they should help line his pockets any further by having to pay for his expensive software.

click here where The Times report on his intention to donate his ENTIRE 43 Billion after his death......

Jester2K II 09:08 22 Sep 03

Also click here

$51 Million grant from Gates Foundation to support small dynamic high schools to boost student achievement 17 Sept 2003

This has been known for a while now.

From an interview click here

PLAYBOY: Does your net worth of multi-billions, despite the fact that it's mostly in stock and the value varies daily, boggle your mind?

GATES: It's a ridiculous number. But remember, 95 percent of it I'm just going to give away. [Smiles] Don't tell people to write me letters. I'm saving that for when I'm in my 50s. It's a lot to give away and it's going to take time.

PLAYBOY: Where will you donate it?

GATES: To charitable things, scientific things. I don't believe in burdening any children I might have with that. They'll have enough. They'll be comfortable.

PLAYBOY: You'll give them only a billion, maybe?

GATES: No, no, are you kidding? Nothing like that. One percent of that.

PLAYBOY: But they'll grow up thinking, Gee, if Dad leaves me some of the money. . . .

GATES: I'll make it clear that it'll be a modest amount.

(Remember in the states a billion is 1000 million and not a million million so he might leave his kids about 10 million dollars)

Doubtless some people will knock him - the way of the world....

Those that don't want to help him line his pockets - don't then and stop moaning...

MichelleC 09:34 22 Sep 03

Well, all I can say is he's never replied to any of my begging letters. And I want to get the new iMac 5...

Stuartli 09:38 22 Sep 03

Bill Gates has donated many, many millions of dollars to charities, universities and organisations all over the world for a considerable number of years.

Don't begrudge anyone being successful or having more money than you - without such driving forces there would never be any notable progress...

Stuartli 09:43 22 Sep 03

"Remember in the States a billion is 1000 million and not a million million..."

So Bill isn't quite as rich as we thought he was - how very disappointing....:-)

Djohn 10:34 22 Sep 03

Always thought it was the same here! One thousand million = a Billion? Looks like I won't make it there after all! :o(

Jester2K II 13:34 22 Sep 03

click here

Had to check...

1. [n] (in the United States) the number that is represented as a one followed by 9 zeros

2. [n] (in Britain) the number that is represented as a one followed by 12 zeros

3. [adj] (U.S.) denoting a quantity consisting of one thousand million items or units; (Britain) denoting a quantity consisting of one million million items or units

Peverelli 03:01 25 Sep 03

Yep, "billion" is another word hijacked by our friends across the pond and then returned to us with a slightly different meaning (or value). The UK billion was 1,000,000,000,000 but we have now accepted the lower value. Wouldn't happen in France, but then again the English language's willingness to accept changes and foreign influence has made it the global language it is.

As for Mr Gates and his little company, they've done rather well and good luck to them. I admire anything that has started small and then made itself a major success. Back in the 80s the door was open to everybody and Bill and his chums walked through it. Don't knock MS for their success - have a go at those who didn't take advantage when the opportunity was there.

PS: Bill, will that praise make you consider sending 0.003% of your fortune this way? :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…