All you ever wanted to know about Digital Cameras

anchor 15:55 09 Mar 05

I came across this article in PCA`s sister magazine, Digital World.

For those new to digital photography it explains most things.

click here

Pesala 17:43 09 Mar 05

That is nearly twice what I would call "entry-level." Under £100 would be more reasonable.

Kodak (£65): click here

Fujifilm (£98): click here

Olympus (£100): click here

All famous name cameras with 3 megapixels or more and all prices include VAT.

For around £160 one could have something like the 4MP Sony DSC-P73 click here

Apart from that, it looks like a very thorough and useful article. Perhaps prices have dropped since it was written.

anchor 18:40 09 Mar 05

The real value of the article is to explain to newcomers what digital photography is all about.

Any recommendations should be reviewed regularly, as models and prices change frequently.

wee eddie 20:46 09 Mar 05

"Perhaps prices have dropped since it was written".

With the way the current Digital camera market is operating at the present. The prices have dropped since your posting.

Please don't take offence, this is posting is slightly "finger in b**", the typing equivalent if "tongue in cheek"!

wee eddie 20:57 09 Mar 05

However, it does not mention the biggest problem of the Digital Camera.

"Latency"

I believe that that is the term used to describe the amount of time taken between turning the camera on and the registering of the image of the subject on it's receptor.

Long time ~ Boring wait ~ Not exactly "Point and Click" ~ More "Point and, Recite a British Cheese Board, Click"

anchor 09:19 10 Mar 05

wee eddie:

Whilst I agree latency is a problem, I would not say it is the biggest problem of a digital camera. This delay is in most part due to the auto focus locking on to the subject. This is usually in the region of 1 second. However, it can be minimised to a tiny fraction of a second by pre-focusing, holding down the release button half way. Not suitable for every shot I know, but a help.

I have been using digital cameras for 5 years and rarely has latency been a significant problem.

anchor 09:27 10 Mar 05

On reading again my comments above, perhaps I should clarify what I mean by latency. It is time taken between pressing the release button, and the shot actually being taken.

It does not include the time needed to remove the camera from its case, switching it on, then framing the shot.

Stuartli 09:51 10 Mar 05

Newer models have overcome this aspect to some extent but, compared to a film camera, the delay can be enough to miss a "wow" picture.

However, I've used SLRs for many years and, despite the slight delay for the mirror's upwards movement, have rarely missed the shot I anticipated.

Just as with digital models, the SLR manufacturers improved the latency factor over the years.

anchor 10:09 12 Mar 05

Stuartli

You are, of course, quite correct. Even a short delay may cause you to lose that impromptu "wow" shot.

However, in my opinion, the advantages of digital cameras more than outweigh that for the average photographer. The problem of latency is being addressed by the manufacturers and it improves all the time.

For example, a test on the new popular Canon model A95 reported this:

"The all-important shutter lag, (delay from pressing shutter until picture is actually captured), was approx. 1/10 of a second when pre-focused, and 6/10 of a second including autofocus".

FelixTCat 14:09 12 Mar 05

Anchor raises the point and, indirectly, gives the solution. I have found that with a lot of my shots, the "wow" shots I am waiting for are at a particular place, e.g. I am watching a bird and waiting for that perfect shot. I set the camera to manual focus and focus on the bird, birdbath, nuts or whatever. Now there is almost no shutter lag when taking the photo because the camera doesn't wait for the autofocus to finish.

You can set the focus to infinity for almost any shot more than 30 ft away without compromising the focus.

Of course, this is not new to digital cameras - autofocus film cameras have exactly the same issue.

wee eddie 14:33 12 Mar 05

If you are using the Auto Focus facility, you still have a latency problem on many designs.

To use the Auto Focus is a single action, and to take the picture, another action. Many cameras include this within the same button. e.g. Press, and then, Click.

The speed of the Auto Focus, is an entirely separate issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…