All in one PC's

mrs room top 12:06 06 Mar 11

Hi there hope someone can help.
thinking of buying an all in once pc, for general use at home, no gaming. Between £600 - £800. Got a really old desktop at moment, so not sure whats new on market. thinking of Sony/ samsung/ HP

thanks

Aelwyd 12:45 06 Mar 11

I bought a Sony All in One (VGC - JS1E) almost 2 years ago and have been very pleased with it.

I'm not into gaming so really its just a general purpose PC used for internet, documents, photo printing etc.

When it came on the market it received excellent reviews but comments were made that it would not be an easy machine to upgrade.

mrs room top 13:58 06 Mar 11

Thanks for that. I have also been told that but I have never really upgraged them myself so that would not bother me. Just like to get the best I can afford at the time, the one I have is about 7 years old.

v1asco 14:34 06 Mar 11

I have the HP touchsmart 310, got it at a good price from John Lewis.
they have quite a few to pick from click here . They have a 2 year warranty.
Happy with mine, though I don't use the touch screen much yet, mainly because i have spent the last 20 years telling the kids not to touch the screen.

bremner 14:37 06 Mar 11

HP's are very good.

click here

v1asco 14:41 06 Mar 11

if you get a touch screen think about the size of the screen.

A 20 inch is ideal for me as it is not overwhelming when sat at the desk. Remember that you have to be close to the screen to use it! Some of the bigger screens I had to lean back and stretch to take in the whole screen. Do the usual, go out and play with them, leave your cash behind, come back and research the prices on the net, then decide. You could even cut out cardboard for the various machine sizes and see what looks/feels best when at you desk.

mrs room top 15:34 06 Mar 11

Thanks for your help, will check out john lewis.

ams4127 18:58 06 Mar 11

Don't forget screen cleaning materials!!

FreeCell 18:06 07 Mar 11

I have got a MSi Windtop 2260 Touch screen AIO I got from Argos Outlet.
click here

You can get reasonable reductions from here, but it took me three goes to get a refurbished one I was happy with. Having said that though the delivery/returns process worked very well and they were helpful in trying to resolve problems. Maybe I was a bit unlucky.

They have a brand new Sony for £799 which have a good reputation for screen quality and have been well rated by reviews.

I chose the MSi because it has the separate input output video ports I wanted and a TV tuner, plus its a full HD screen with a Blu-Ray DVD.

The touch screen is a novelty on a PC and many people can't see the value, including those who wouldn't have anything other than a touch screen smart phone. They're probably right but then again you don't really need a mouse as there are keyboard shortcuts which any "speed user" will use as they are quicker.

I have downloaded a number of games that make use of touch screen and they are fun for kids, especially when too young to use a keyboard and mouse properly. Angy Birds on a 22 inch screen is definately a plus!

The comment about screen wipes is certainly a must!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos