Alienware 17 vs Qosmio X75 buying advice

jhwhite 00:52 07 Oct 13

I've been considering buying an Alienware laptop because I'm a big kid that like a lot of flashing lights. I live in Vietnam so I don't get much choice when it comes to gaming laptops.

I was heavily considering:

Alienware 17 Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz) 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 765M with 2GB GDDR5 17.3" WLED HD+ (1600 x 900) Anti-Glare Display 750GB S-ATA

Until I saw:

Toshiba Qosmio X75 A7298 Intel® Core™ i7 4700MQ - 2.4Ghz ( Turbo boot 3.4Ghz ) 6Mb Cache 16GB DDR III 1600Mhz 3GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M GDDR5 17.3 inch LED backlit FHD display (1920x1080) 1TB SATA III 5400rpm + 256GB SSD

Now with my limited knowledge, I believe the Qosmio is the better option hands down. What I can't understand how it's actually slightly cheaper than the Alienware.

I admit, the big kid in me is going to miss all the bright lights, bell and whistles that come with the Alieware. Is there something I'm missing or is purchasing the Qosmio a no brainer?

Mr Mistoffelees 16:18 07 Oct 13

I can't comment on Vietnamese pricing but, on the face of it, the Toshiba looks the one to go for.

lotvic 19:37 07 Oct 13

PCAdvisor have done some testing. 7 best laptops for games reviewed: best gaming laptops 2013 click here

jhwhite 03:01 08 Oct 13

Having visited a host of websites and read a huge amount of reviews I'm still undecided.

The Qosmio is superior, however it has two big black spots by its name.

Firstly, there's a lot of people complaining about faulty wifi connectivity and having to return their laptops. There's no returns policy in Vietnam, if I get a faulty laptop I'm likely stuck with it.

Secondly a more personal issue. I currently use my girlfriend's Macbook Pro and I often use it at bedtime where I must have the lighting on the lowest possible setting or incur the wrath of a tired girlfriend. Apparently the keyboard on the Qosmnio has two settings, full brightness and off. Obviously off is no use and full brightness can quote 'light up a room'.

I know I will be missing out on a lot of power if I chose the Alienware. However I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference this stuff makes (I'm hoping I can upgrade the components when I have the cash). The two Qosmio problems would be a thorn in my side from day one.

Thanks for your responses, but I'm still torn between the two.

jhwhite 03:05 08 Oct 13

Having visited a host of websites and read a huge amount of reviews I'm still undecided.

The Qosmio is superior, however it has two big black spots by its name.

Firstly, there's a lot of people complaining about faulty wifi connectivity and having to return their laptops. There's no returns policy in Vietnam, if I get a faulty laptop I'm likely stuck with it.

Secondly a more personal issue. I currently use my girlfriend's Macbook Pro and I often use it at bedtime where I must have the lighting on the lowest possible setting or incur the wrath of a tired girlfriend. Apparently the keyboard on the Qosmnio has two settings, full brightness and off. Obviously off is no use and full brightness can quote 'light up a room'.

I know I will be missing out on a lot of power if I chose the Alienware. However I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference this stuff makes (I'm hoping I can upgrade the components when I have the cash). The two Qosmio problems would be a thorn in my side from day one.

Thanks for your responses, but I'm still torn between the two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…