Aldi's latest

negri 23:16 07 Dec 09

Been looking for a sub £400 laptop for my girlfriend for a while now but I see Aldi are having another Thursday special this week. For those in the know are the specs respectable? She would only be using it for Internet, watching movies etc - nothing taxing.

click here

DieSse 23:37 07 Dec 09

"She would only be using it for Internet, watching movies etc - nothing taxing."

For that the specs are actually absurdly overkill. My, by now, pretty old spec system built some 6 years ago, can do those tasks standing on it's head.

Anything you can buy these days will do what you want and more. The only thing you might want to think about is actually the screen size.

These 15.something wide screen systems are actually quite small when you're used to an everyday 19" screen. That's the only thing I would suggest you might spend more on - but then you have to balance that with portability.

As a different approach, why not think about a smaller and more portable notebook, and an external larger (19" or higher) monitor for "at home" use.

Also bear in mind you should be looking to get an external drive for backups with ANY system (£50 ish).

A few months back I bought a 15,5 inch lenove (lower specs than the medion), which would also do her jobs with ease, and only cost €298 (about £275) in Spain. Has camera, mic, camera card slot too.

birdface 09:19 08 Dec 09

Just remember the 3 years free warranty that you also receive with it which you will not get on cheaper laptops.

negri 09:51 08 Dec 09

Yeah, the three-year warranty was a major attraction. I maybe downplayed what she would be doing with it a little so I do not want anything much lower in spec.

Does anyone out there have an Aldi Medion computer and what were their experiences of it?

Cymro. 12:34 08 Dec 09

I have such a machine and found it to be excellent value for money and would not hesitate to buy another one. The one I have was bought from Woolworth almost four years ago. It has had a rather hard life as it was my first computer and like many novasis I was downloading everything and anything.

Any problems I have had have been of my own making and only concerned the software. I have had to do the one reformat with the disks that were provided in the box by Medion. I don`t know if the one you are thinking of will have the disks but am given to understand that these days not many manufacturers include disks to reload the system.

negri 13:30 08 Dec 09

Thanks Cymro for the recommendation. Not sure if the disks are included but if not, hopefully the warranty should cover any non self-inflicted breakdown.

numpty_uk 13:45 08 Dec 09

You will only get a Recovery Disc with the Medion.
Not sure what support is like, but doing a google search will help you?

Confab 14:00 08 Dec 09

I was going to buy one of the Sutdio 15 laptops from Dell. It's a similar spec (slightly poorer but with 64 bit windows). It's also a bit more expensive at £429. Now I don't know what to do!!

Components
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T4300 (2.1GHz, 800MHz, 1MB cache)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
1 year of coverage included with your PC
No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year
FailSafe® Theft Protection - track and protect lost or stolen laptops - 30 days free trial
15.6in Widescreen High Definition (1366x768) WLED with TrueLife
3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024]
250GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
Intel Integrated GMA 4500MHD
Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
Primary 6-cell 56 WHr Lithium Ion battery
Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)
No Bluetooth Upgrade
2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
Black chainlink
Accessories
Services & Software
Also Includes
No Accidental Damage Support
1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
English - Documentation Studio 1545
N1253501
1 year of coverage included with your PC
Studio 1555 Order - UK
No Carrying Case
Studio 1555 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
65W AC Adaptor
Wireless Label - Pentium Dual Core
Silver chainlink palm rest – with Black Chainlink cover only
Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

Confab 14:07 08 Dec 09

Just noticed on the Aldi site that it says

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 32 Bit
Sets new standards when it comes to user-friendliness, performance, reliability and security. In addition, the successor to Vista opens up new multimedia opportunities.

(OEM version, 64-bit recovery DVD included with the product)

Does that mean that I could upgrade to the 64bit by re-installing the OS? I thought that once you had made your choice - either 32 or 64 bit then you had to stick with that OS from then on.

negri 15:48 08 Dec 09

Excuse my total ignorance but what is the difference between the 32 or 64 bit?

961 15:52 08 Dec 09

Anyone buying a new computer should be more than happy with 32 bit

64 bit is for the future but, for now, most software is written to 32 bit

64 bit introduces a whole new ball game and is best left for the future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…