Aldi / Samsung hdd

Diodorus Siculus 01:04 25 Jun 04

Aldi will have a Samsung 160GB hdd next week for 70 pounds - any idea if it is worth the cost or if there are other deals out there? Thanks, Dio. click here

goonerbill 09:51 25 Jun 04

simply computers has it for £66.99 and dabs £69.00 but you have to add postage, which makes the prices (simply) £69.93 and dabs £72.53.

your not getting a bargain but its a pretty good hard drive.

Diodorus Siculus 15:00 25 Jun 04

Well, I need one and when I return from the US on Tuesday or Wednesday, I may well make the purchase. There is nothing here which strikes me as a bargain. That 70 pounds equates to about 125 US$ and that is the approximate cost in the superstores here in Chicago so I don't reckon there is any point in buying here.

By the way, does anyone know the exact model number - Samsung seem to make a few that size.

Diodorus Siculus 15:00 25 Jun 04

Well, I need one and when I return from the US on Tuesday or Wednesday, I may well make the purchase. There is nothing here which strikes me as a bargain. That 70 pounds equates to about 125 US$ and that is the approximate cost in the superstores here in Chicago so I don't reckon there is any point in buying here.

By the way, does anyone know the exact model number - Samsung seem to make a few that size.

ted bear 15:46 25 Jun 04

^

Diodorus Siculus 08:04 02 Jul 04

I got the disk yesterday - samsung 160gb in a gericom box. Basic drive but will hold all my CDs for a while at least.

Installed easily last night, partitioned into 5 (including a 1gb partition to be a win2k swapfile) and runs ok so far.

An old question, I know, but what is the thinking re. NTFS vs FAT32? I dual boot with Win98 and have data shared so at least on partition will have to be FAT32. But what about those partitions which have the music files on them for my jukebox (win2k only)?

Now I just need to find a home for an old fujitsu 40gb - the type that used to fail the day after the warranty ended. I must have been lucky with mine!

Stuartli 10:13 02 Jul 04

The Samsung Spinpoint HDDs are excellent value and run very quietly - 160GB versions, depending on whether 2MB or (even better) 8MB cache, cost from just under £65 upwards at dabs and, no doubt, other online retailers.

It's only about seven months since I paid £66 for a Western Digital 60GB HDD (I preferred a three-year warranty otherwise I could have had a WD 80GB for the same price).

shaduf 21:39 02 Jul 04

The model number on the box is SP1604N

Gaz 25 23:37 02 Jul 04

MP3 player next week looks good as well.

Diodorus Siculus 08:42 03 Jul 04

As I said earlier, there was no price advantage in getting it in Aldi; the advantage as I saw it was twofold. Firstly, I could walk into the shop and pick it up rather than pay for delivery and wait for a delivery to be made. Secondly, if there happened to be a problem with it, I could take it back for a refund / exchange with no difficulties.

For reference, it has the 2mb cache.

Stuartli 10:49 03 Jul 04

The Fujitsu HDD problem was due to one particular faulty component from a supplier - Fujitsu, unknowlingly at the time, used many thousands of the faulty item in its drives.

As far as I am aware it honoured the warranties in full.

The only Fujitsu drive I've had was first used by my son for 18 months, handed on to me and then, in turn, about a year later transplanted into a system being built for a friend acquiring his first system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…