Aldi Medion MD8383 - the other problem The Fan

Modo 12:40 07 Dec 04

This from The Inquirer

click here

"First, a reader's feedback concerning the Medion MD8383 mini review that we had some days ago. The reader is Edwin Groenendijk, who owns a website dedicated to supermarket IT deals.

"I run a website with lots of information on the MD8383. The latest news is a major defect in virtually ALL of them. It is the CPU cooler which does not function correctly, due to poor contact between processor and cooler. As a result, the processor starts to overheat way too fast, say when playing a simple game or watching TV. The CPU will try to cool down by fully deploying the processor-fan, which then produces a whining noise of 54 dB. Some unfortunate buyers had to return a PC that simply would not produce any result other than a loud noise. Some claim to have fixed the problem by rotating the cooler 90°. There are a lot of complaints of extremely noisy aldi PC's these days, and I hope the UK costumers may benifit of the conclusions we already made in Holland and Belgium.""

Belatucadrus 19:45 07 Dec 04

This sounds very odd, when I changed the fan on my old Medion, I found that the fan block was mounted in a proprietary Medion mount. I had to replace the mounting before I could swap the fan. The block is rectangular, so 90° rotation isn't going to be possible.
The other problem I had was that the CPU was stuck to the base of the fan block by some thermal goo/adhesive and was very difficult to remove.
So while it's entirely possible that the new Medions have mounted the fans differently, I would strongly recommend owners to resist the temptation to remove the CPU cooler unless they are confident they know what they are doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…