Akasa Pax mate acoustic sheets

murrayhouse 21:31 06 Jan 04

Just in case anyone is thinking of buying this to quieten their PC. For your £12 - £15 (dependent on where you get it) you get 4 sheets of foam. You then half dismantle your PC to fit it properly. In return you get maybe a 1 - 2% reduction in noise and a smell that'll make you retch. After three days the smell is as strong as ever. I'm going to have to buy a new case as, once stuck down, this stuff is almost impossible to remove (I've tried) and the smell is intolerable. Avoid like the plague (this stuff smells like the plague).

Jester2K 22:47 06 Jan 04

Imagine the heat it keeps in too....

Bailey08787 13:50 09 Jan 04

I've got it inside my system, and it doesn't smell at all.

Maybe your pc is running like an over, and its giving the foam a roasting?

Can't say I noticed much/any reduction in sound though.

In my seemingly futile quest for coolness/quiet, I have added a load of stuff to my pc. This includes a quiet psu from quietpc, a zalman silent cpu cooler, a zalman silent gpu cooler, a seagate ultra-quiet (as they're marketed) drive, 4 silent case fans from quietpc all contained in a Lian-Li 7 completed padded with the akasa foam - guess what - still plenty of noise.

I've recently come to the conclusion that my pc could run quietly - and the main thing that seems to generate a lot of noise is the actual case, reverberating. I worked this out my adding to pressure to various parts of the case, and notice the high pitch sounds stop. I now have both side panels of my case off, and just leaning up against the case. This is probably a bit bad for the components, as I imagine a lot more dust can get it - but it is bizarrely a lot quieter - although i have to live with my nice aluminium lian-li case looking like it's broke or won't fit together or something

murrayhouse 22:01 09 Jan 04

I've just fitted a Cooler Master Aero 7 Lite CPU heatsink and fan. The result - 50-60& reduction in noise and a 6 degree reduction in CPU temperature. And most importantly - IT DOESN'T SMELL AT ALL.

Forum Editor 22:26 09 Jan 04

I was in the Staples Corner PC World store today, and saw these accoustic sheets, in fact I nearly bought some to try.

Maybe I'll take a rain cheque.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…