airline-proof hard suitcase

Carafaraday 15:19 16 Jan 07

Does anyone have any opinion about the best suitcase to buy which will have some chance of surviving the rigours of airport baggage handlers? I'm looking for a hard, medium-sized case and considering John Lewis Fuji II, Antler Prism, and Samsonite Cruiseair II Spinner.

spuds 17:08 16 Jan 07

Not sure about the ones that you are considering,but I used a Samsonite for many years, and it did me proud, and still usable today.

samsonite everytime here!

Carafaraday 17:30 16 Jan 07

Thanks, spuds and adman 2. Does the Samsonite one you use have wheels? Samsonite certainly seem to be the most expensive, but worth it I suppose if they survive a bit longer......

spuds 17:48 16 Jan 07

When I purchased my Samsonite, there were no such thing as wheels. But it as survived many a drag along some very suspect ground :o)

Carafaraday 17:54 16 Jan 07

Thanks Spuds - long may it continue to survive.

many years ago i sold house intruder alarms and made my demonstration panel in a samsonite, 8 years i did that, it was stolen, stolen and thrown out of a moving vehicle, i drove over it once together with my golf clubs, i still have it in my loft, only has scratchs looks a little 'tired' but last time i checked all my kit still worked!
the clubs however had played there last round :(
it was quite small so didnt have wheels.
ironically when it was stolen police said it was probably the case they were trying to steal!!

€dstowe 18:44 16 Jan 07

Another Samsonite fan. Had them for years. Not lightweight, though. A wheeled one is essential.

Carafaraday 18:48 16 Jan 07

€dstowe - I take it you have a wheelie version? The wheels look awfully small and vulnerable. Have yours managed to survive Heathrow etc?

Forum Editor 19:19 16 Jan 07

and airports all over the world for many years, and I've yet to find a rigid case that survives baggage handling for long.

Nowadays I settle for a good quality soft case - they seem to fare better, and I don't pack anything fragile in them.

and if you find one they cant break they shall probably lose it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…