Age old question I know but Laptop purchase advice

bristolgirl 07:46 20 Jun 06

I know, I know, it's been asked before but the more I read, the more confused I become. (Anyone who has seen my previous posts will understand that I'm easily confused).
Anyway, I would like to purchase my first Laptop. This would be for surfing wirelessly. (I have a netgear already set up but am unsure on how I would do this away from home). Also, for storing photos and documents and for using in conjunction with my video ipod.
My family would also like to watch DVD's on it for the time we spend away from home.
Now my budget is not very big - £600 approx and I think I like the sound of the Sony Vaio (please don't laugh) but paramount is support in that if anything goes wrong, I want to be able to access support and quickly. If I tell you that my desktop is a Mesh and yes I am one of their customers that nearly ended up in some sort of solitary confinment.
What sort of spec should I be looking for and any recommendations?

Many thanks!!

rmcqua 09:08 20 Jun 06

You could do worse than one of these (use the money you have left over to buy the OS)

click here

bristolgirl 12:25 20 Jun 06

Thank you rmcqua. I have hear good things about Novatech.

Looks good but do you have any ideas as to essential specifications I need for my requirments?

Also, do you know what their support is like? I have heard that Dell are quite good but their support is a bit patchy.

Thanks again!

silverous 12:41 20 Jun 06

..I like Macs unless you need to have a PC, but these are a bit out of your price range I think.

Why would we laugh at Sony? They are great but tend to be pricey for what you get although you sometimes can't compare as they have a few unique features like (previously) the X black screens, special metal cases (magensium or whatever).

I've had good experiences with Acer lately.
Their warranties tend to be 'cheap' and in my experience have been very good and often include accidental damage.

How about something like this?

click here

You can upgrade warranty to 3 years with accident protection for £99. I'm not normally an advocate of warranties but with laptops for home use I think this makes sense sometimes.

bristolgirl 12:54 20 Jun 06

Sorry, I wasn't implying that anyone should laugh at Sony, just my budget. I would love a Sony Vaio.

The warranty sounds good with Acer. Are they good at answering the phone etc?

Thank you.

bristolgirl 13:15 20 Jun 06

Hi
Can you help me and tell me what type of Processor or Processor speed I should be looking for?

rmcqua 13:35 20 Jun 06

It's a bit difficult to identify the absolute minimum specifications that would be needed to perform the tasks you want from your laptop. However, I'm pretty sure that the Novatech machine is up to all of them. I have used Novatech for years for components, and more recently for some laptop purchases. Their after sales customer support is very good.

It's a bit difficult to identify the absolute minimum specifications that would be needed to perform the tasks you want from your laptop. However, I'm pretty sure that the Novatech machine is up to all of them. I have used Novatech for years for components, and more recently for some laptop purchases. Their after sales customer support is very good.

silverous 16:38 20 Jun 06

of requirements that might stretch a 'budget' laptop may be watching a dvd (with a limited graphics card it could in theory be 'choppy') although I haven't tried it on a budget laptop so it might be fine.

Other than that just about any 'new' laptop would let you surf wirelessly and store photos.

bristolgirl 11:08 21 Jun 06

Many thanks for all you help and advice. I have decided on this one:- click here

Wish me luck with it. Can I ask another question though? I am getting a Vodafone 3G card with it but what to I do when I want to connect when I am abroad?

Hope you can help again.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…